Animal Collection Instructor-Technician- Part Time
£20,000 pro rata
22.5 hours per week (3 days) Fixed-term for 12 months with possible opportunity to become permanent
Including weekends and public holidays on a rota basis
Hartpury University and Hartpury College are among the UK’s leading specialist education providers in agriculture, animal, equine, sport and veterinary nursing. Located in Gloucestershire, Hartpury University and Hartpury College of Further Education sit side-by-side on a beautiful 360-hectare campus. We provide world-class facilities to almost 4,000 university and college-level students studying undergraduate and postgraduate degrees, A-levels and diplomas, as well as undertaking industry research. The University holds Teaching Excellence Framework Gold and has 98% graduate employability, whilst the College is rated Ofsted Outstanding in all areas. A passionate and innovative business culture and exceptional support networks make Hartpury an ideal career choice.
About the Role
- You will contribute to an extensive growing animal collection, providing a high standard of animal resource for all animal related practical activity serving the curriculum and industry skills needs, of both university and college students.
- Providing care for the animals within the collection, you will maintain the high standard of presentation of facilities and the planning and delivery of practical teaching are the core elements of this position.
- You will assist and support the day-to-day running of the Animal Collection as directed by the Animal Collection Manager and will directly supervise student groups during the practical learning experience, supporting safe practice and the development of professional standards for an outstanding student experience.
- You will have previous practical experience within the animal industry or an animal establishment with an excellent understanding of best husbandry practices for a variety of domestic and exotic species.
- You will demonstrate a sound knowledge of animal welfare standards and legislation
- You will be confident in handling and working around wide variety of animal species and competently apply this to practical teaching delivery.
- You will have an understanding of the education environment with a motivation to inspire learners to be highly employable through completion of the Hartpury Certificate and achievement of excellent results.
- You will hold a teaching qualification or have a willingness to complete one.
What we Offer
- Wellbeing events and Employee Assistance Programme
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Employee Discounts Scheme
- Onsite fitness facilities
- Support for continuous professional development
- Flexible working opportunities available
- 25 days annual leave entitlement plus bank holidays pro rata for part time staff
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We will ensure that all our recruitment and selection practices reflect this commitment. All successful candidates will be subject to Disclosure and Barring Service checks along with other relevant employment checks.
Visit our website www.hartpury.ac.uk to see full details and to apply online or telephone (01452) 702135 to request documents by post.
The closing date for receipt of applications is 12th July 2020
Interviews will be held on Monday 20th July 2020
Hartpury values a diverse workforce and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.