Permanent – 35 hours per week
We are Chester Zoo, and for over 80 years we’ve been a leading conservation and education charity, and an amazing, award-winning visitor attraction.
We’re also a team of passionate, talented, enthusiastic and expert people, doing everything we can to keep the zoo going, from feeding the animals to discovering new conservation ideas, and giving our 1.9 million visitors an inspirational day out.
We work hard because we love animals, we care about nature, we love Chester Zoo and we want to be the best zoo in the world!
If you think you can help us to achieve that, then we’d love to hear from you.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Zoo Rangers to join our award winning Discovery & Learning team.
Our Zoo Rangers deliver public education around the Zoo, including animal talks and tours, one to one engagement, exhibition supervision, interpretation and other educational activities. Audiences of all ages, and vary from 1 to 500 or more, so there is lots of public interaction requiring a confident and outgoing personality.
The successful candidate will have:
• A degree in Zoo Biology or a conservation-related field, and a wide ranging knowledge of the natural world and animal behaviours
• A creative mind, and able to develop and deliver engaging, high quality public engagement opportunities for our visitors
• Excellent customer service skills, and able to work alone as well as part of a team
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, as the role is all about effective communication
• Good organisational and time management skills
• A good working knowledge of Windows and Microsoft Office packages, as well as iPads and apps
A good working knowledge and experience of zoo conservation education, including research, would be desirable, as is a good knowledge of our animal collection and conservation work.
The salary for this role £19,133.59 per annum based on 35 hours per week working 10 days out of 14, including weekends and Bank Holidays as rostered, with the occasional need for evening working. In addition we offer a range of amazing benefits which can be found at http://www.chesterzoo.org/footer/careers/working-at-chester-zoo.
Due to the nature of the organisation and the role, this post is subject to a DBS check.
To apply for this position, please provide your current CV and complete the application form highlighting your skills and experience including why you believe you should be considered for our Zoo Ranger role to http://www.chesterzoo.org/footer/careers.
Closing date for applications is 10th March 2017
Independent International Zoo Consultant