We are looking to add a dedicated animal keeper to join our team, on a varied hour, fixed full-time contract (5 days), working with a variety of taxa.
It's an exciting time here as we continue with our expansion plans and see new, exciting species added to the collection.
The ideal candidate will be highly motivated and passionate about wildlife, with the skills required to communicate this to our visitors.
You must be able to demonstrate knowledge of modern zoo practices relating to husbandry, nutrition, enrichment and veterinary care as well as understanding the importance of research and conservation activities.
There are also heavy focuses on site maintenance and horticulture.
The successful candidate should have previous experience working with animals in a similar role in a zoological collection and hold a relevant qualification in animal management.
The position also includes educational work, providing tours to school groups and assisting with outreach activities.
Delivering talks, feeds and animal experiences are also an important part of the position.
This is full time contract, on a flexi rota system which includes working regular weekends and bank holidays as well as being on call for out of hour's emergencies and working sometimes early or late to meet business needs.
Normal hours are seasonal - Main season (8am-5pm), Winter season (8am-4pm).
We use a system called BrightHR to notify of monthly rotas in advance and training will be given upon induction.
• Relevant qualification.
• Previous experience working within a zoological collection.
• Motivated and enthusiastic individual who can work alone and as part of a team.
• Good verbal and written communication skills.
• Good organizational and time management skills.
• Excellent hygiene standards.
• Computer literate
• Wide knowledge of biology, ecology and captive requirements of taxa relevant to the collection
• Flexible approach to work and ability to work under pressure
• Full clean driving license is preferable but not essential.
Good understanding of health and safety within the work place are also essential.
Please register your interest at firstname.lastname@example.org for an application form.
Independent International Zoo Consultant