The Royal Zoological Society of Scotland (RZSS) owns and manages Edinburgh Zoo and the Highland Wildlife Park. The Wildlife Park is a premier visitor attraction, based at Kingussie in the Highlands, with many Scottish and other species, some of which are now extinct in the wild. Edinburgh Zoo is the second biggest paying visitor attraction in Scotland (after the Castle along the road), with over 650,000 people each year enjoying an excellent day out. Of equal importance is our excellent international reputation for our conservation and education programmes and we are looking to the future with confidence. We’ve been a charity since our founding in 1909 and maintain a keen commercial edge to ensure we can sustain our excellent reputation. Our mission is to inspire and excite our visitors with the wonder of living animals, and thus to promote the conservation of threatened species and habitats.
Job Title – Animal Experience Presenter
Reporting to the Lead Animal Presenter, the main responsibilities of this role are:
• Undertake delivery of all aspects of Keeper Experience packages, whilst ensuring the animal collection is well managed and looked after, ie, animal welfare and natural behaviours are considered first.
Keeper Experience Coordination
• Undertake meet and greet of all customers
• Undertake health and safety induction of all customers
• Liaise with appropriate staff from Animal Dept, Presentation Team and Zoo Vets to prepare and deliver animal “events” to the customer
• Prepare monthly report on the progress of the Keeper Experience packages for the Lead Animal Presenter in the initial stages of the project and then as agreed to ensure the service develops and progresses commercially
• Continue with professional development where relevant
• Develop the package of events and experiences as appropriate with proposals and accompanying business case
To operate effectively in this role, you must hold the Diploma in the Management of Zoo and Aquarium Animals or equivalent qualification or experience at SVQ 3 or equivalent level. A minimum of 3 years of practical experience in a zoo or animal-related environment is essential and experience of practically managing a range of animal taxon groups desirable. You must also have up-to-date basic knowledge and understanding of zoo legislation and best practice, along with a sound basis of practical knowledge and skills about good animal management including dietary knowledge. Proven success in animal training or an appropriate qualification in the use of positive reinforcement training is desirable.
You will be an excellent communicator, with proven presentation skills. You will be comfortable working as part of a team and will build strong relationships across the organisation. Customer service will be key to this role and you must have an excellent understanding of the principles involved and how to interact with the public to ensure a memorable experience.
This is an hourly paid position (approx. 20 hours per week) and will involve regular weekend work. We offer a competitive hourly rate. Closing date is Monday 12 December.
For full information on how to apply, please email email@example.com with a note of interest and follow the instructions. Visit http://www.edinburghzoo.org.uk/
Zoo News Digest
should you apply for this post
For regular updated Zoo News, Views, Reviews and Vacancies please visit
Zoo News Digest
Zoo News Digest
The Zoo Professionals Book Store
if you are looking for a book. This is an Amazon affiliate and you will get a good deal
you can subscribe to the largest and longest established zoo related ezine
Money for Free
If you can write, you can earn. Write about what you like or what you know about. Build up a passive income which will earn you money daily. No catch, no charge. Click on the link below and you could start earning today