Newquay Zoo Internships
Tropical House Keeper
Closing date for applications 31st December 2014
Newquay Zoo is part of the Whitley Wildlife Conservation Trust family, comprising Paignton Zoo, Living Coasts, Slapton Ley and two urban nature reserves. Newquay Zoo opened in 1969, has become one of the country's top Zoos, contributing towards ground breaking and innovative conservation programmes. It has also proved itself to be one of the best visitor attractions in the South West.
We currently have a vacancy for voluntary internships for a period of 6 months (including a one month probationary period) working with our Tropical House keeping department. Newquay Zoo is open every day and the placements will be full time i.e. a five day working week including some weekends. The main role of the keeping interns will be to attend the husbandry requirements of the reptile, amphibian & invertebrate collection as directed by the Senior Keeper in charge.
All internships are purely voluntary and as such it is with regret that Newquay zoo cannot provide any financial support or expenses to those wishing to apply for these positions. To ensure that interns are provided with valuable experience; a training agreement will be completed and reviewed regularly and a training record will be provided upon completion of the placement.
Objectives of the placement
- To gain experience and understanding of the work of a zoo animal keeping department.
- To apply own personal skills and take ownership of a series of tasks and/or a research project.
- To reflect on training and experience throughout the placement.
Anticipated tasks/training provided
- Assisting with daily animal husbandry e.g. feeding, cleaning, enrichment provision, enclosure modification etc.
- Observations of animals and recording of relevant information.
- Training in basic research methods.
- Visitor interaction e.g. answering visitor questions in a polite and sensitive manner.
- Assisting with student supervision at the direction of the head keeper.
- Training in animal-management related computer software.
- Training in all aspects of the company’s code of practise.
- A qualification in an animal science related discipline would be desirable.
- Previous animal-related work experience.
- Good communication skills.
- Adaptable to different working environments.
- Able to work in a team and independently.
- Physically fit for the demands of the post.
To apply for the above position please send a CV and covering letter, indicating which position you are applying for, to Owen Taylor.
Newquay Zoo, Trenance gardens, Newquay, Cornwall, TR7 2LZ