Head Penguin Trainer / Assistant Curator
What you will do:
- Establish and manage staff appropriate to the maintenance of the collection.
- Provide training programs for enrichment purposes and animal related guest programs.
- Ensure that animal quarantine and programmes of specimen acquisition align with the launch programme for new exhibits.
- Ensure staffs are trained in accordance with the Customer Care Policy.
- Assume general curatorial responsibilities for the Zoological Department by increasing support while the Zoological Operations Manager is absent or dealing with consultancy and development projects.
- Assist in ensuring that the local Regulations in the Zoo Licensing Act are satisfied.
- Attend and participate at scientific/peer meetings on appropriate topics.
- Assist the Zoological Operations Manager in managing the Husbandry Department budget to achieve agreed objectives.
- Ensure adequate supplies are available to run the Zoological Department, including animal feeds and equipment and to ensure timely placement of orders.
- Liaise with the Head of Education, Conservation & Information and the Commercial Manager in the development of new exhibits and the publicity and promotion for the Dubai Aquarium and Underwater Zoo.
- Take responsibility for activities relating to exhibits and husbandry.
- Assist in maintaining the health of the collection.
- Monitor animals appropriate to the needs of the collection.
- Work, with the Life Support Manager, to ensure that life support systems are adequate for maintaining the collection.
- Carry out routine specimen recording and breeding & monitoring programmes.
- Communicate to the public at all levels and provide staff training
Public presentations in the form of various social network options, briefings, programs and various marketing formats.
Will ensure that all areas of responsibility are reviewed and subjected to a process of continuous improvement.
Will show a responsible understanding and application of environmental issues at home and work, and adhere to the environmental policy of the Dubai Aquarium and Underwater Zoo.
What you will be responsible for
Responsible for the acquisition, training, maintenance, management and monitoring of live exhibits. Supervise and train aquarium staff. Contribute to the development of new exhibits and guest interactive programs.
What you will need to succeed:
- A degree in Biology/ Science or equivalent work experience in the related field.
- A minimum of 5 years in a Supervisory or management role of staff and animal husbandry with development of Interactive Guest programs
- Strong background in Animal Training, Animal Behaviours and enrichment of captive animals
- High level experience in maintaining Zoological institutes or similar
- Experience working with Penguins through training and program development
- Computer skills is a must
To learn more and to apply please click HERE
CLICK HERE TO READ THE LATEST ZOONEWS DIGEST AND POSTS BACK TO 1998