Senior Herpetology Keeper - California Science Center Foundation
The Senior Herpetology Keeper establishes and maintains a professional and
positive animal care program for herpetological and other organisms in the
World of Ecology Exhibit. Additionally, they are responsible for the
appearance and operation of all assigned exhibits and support areas,
including providing proper husbandry for the herpetological, mammalian, and
invertebrate collections, acquiring new specimens, maintaining an inventory
of the collection, and monitoring dietary habits of the animals. The
position will also be required to assist with coverage of other living
collections as needed.
*Major Job Responsibilities:*
- Responsible for the care and husbandry of herpetological organisms as
well as other animals such as bats, insects, and rodents. Assist with care
and husbandry of other living collections as needed.
- Responsible for all the animal exhibit maintenance, feeding regimes,
behavioral enrichment, record-keeping, and health assessments.
- Assists World of Ecology project team in advancement and implementation
of exhibit goals by contributing to the design and management of exhibit
- Supports staff and participates in acquiring specimens through
organization of trades/loans/purchases with other zoological institutions,
or as necessary, through collecting trips.
- Assists in implementing Federal, State, and Local agency laws,
regulations, codes, and ordinances, as well as AZA guidelines for eventual
- Develops and implements policies and procedures related to animal
- Procures supplies and equipment and makes recommendations for necessary
- Contributes to the mission of the California Science Center by
stimulating curiosity and inspiring science learning by creating fun,
memorable experiences for the guests.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Bachelor's degree in Biology or Zoology or related field required OR
- 3+ years minimum supervisory experience at a zoological facility highly
desired, preferably at an AZA accredited institution.
- Knowledge of herpetological, mammal, avian, and invertebrate life of
the Sonoran desert and tropical ecosystems highly desirable.
- Experience with husbandry and display of bats strongly preferred.
- Ability to maintain various types of animal exhibits.
- Must posses a strong working knowledge of herpetological, mammal, and
- Working knowledge of Federal, State, and Local laws, regulations,
codes, and ordinances as applicable to possessing native and exotic wild
- Demonstrated working knowledge of planning and acquisition of wild
animal specimens highly desirable.
- Working knowledge of the operational characteristics, services, and
activities of a zoological program.
- Knowledge of modern principles and practices of zoo building and design
- Ability to lift 60 pounds.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule which may include weekends and
*Salary:* $45,000 – $50,000 per year plus excellent benefits and 14 holidays
Send Cover Letter, Resume and Salary History (A Must) to the HR Dept. via
fax at 213-744-2673, email to HR@cscmail.org, or mail to the California
Science Center Foundation, H. R. Dept, 700 State Dr., Los Angeles, CA 90037.
No phone calls please. EOE.
For full details please go to http://www.zoonewsdigest.com
Please mention you saw the advertisement in ZooNews Digest should you apply for this post