Want to join a Zoo who’s dream is to be the best little Zoo in the world?
Wellington Zoo is a treasure, housing significant populations of animals, plants and people who are passionate about conservation, education and recreation. Some 180,000 people visit the Zoo each year. The Zoo conserves precious species and raises awareness of the human contribution to both the destruction and sustainability of ecosystems.
Under the management of the Wellington Zoo Trust, the Zoo is heading in new and exciting directions. The Trust’s vision is for the Zoo to be a magical place of learning and fun, bringing animals in their environments and people who visit together.
We have an opportunity for a team player with excellent communication skills to be part of our Programmes Team, responsible for conservation based animal presentations in the Zoo’s Wild Theatre and well as providing daily care to our collection.
The position is full time (40 hours per week on a 5 day a week roster including Saturdays and Sundays).
So, if you can demonstrate…
- The completion of the National Certificate in Captive Wild Animal Management or equivalent qualification.
- A sound experience in captive animal keeping and modern husbandry techniques.
- Successful application of behavioural and environmental enrichment techniques.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- The ability to work with limited supervision, solve problems and work well in a team environment.
- The ability to work on a roster that includes weekends and public holidays.
- Good written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Have a background in Animal Training and Conditioning
- An ability to be flexible and maintain calm demeanour when working with potentially difficult, dangerous, and unpredictable animals and birds
- A comprehensive knowledge of conservation issues and the role of the modern Zoo
…then this could be the opportunity you’ve been looking for!
Applications must be received by 5pm Monday, 8 March 2010.
To apply please email your covering letter, CV and completed application form to email@example.com or post it to Print and Production Assistant Vacancy, c/- Wellington Zoo Trust, 200 Daniell Street, Newtown, Wellington 6021.
Please download the application form and job description here.
For more information please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please visit Zoo News Digest
Please mention you saw this vacancy on the Zoo News Digest Job site should you apply for the post. Many thanks - Peter