PRACTICAL LEARNING OFFICER
Based at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo
£22,634 pa pro-rata, inclusive
ZSL Whipsnade Zoo’s Discovery and Learning department are looking for a practical learning officer to join our team. It is a full time, fixed term post until 31 December 2013.
The practical learning officer will play a key role in delivering ZSL’s learning strategy and in doing so achieve the Society’s mission to raise awareness and inform visitors and other audiences about animals and their habitats and associated conservation issues
A major remit for this position is to plan and deliver six ZSL Zoo Academy courses during 2013. ZSL Zoo Academy is a practical course aimed at 15-17 year olds wishing to pursue a career with animals. You will support the students in practical work within the ZSL Whipsnade Zoo as well as teaching theory sessions about husbandry, welfare and aspects of conservation. You will also be responsible for planning and liaising with the animal department and ensuring safe working practice at all times. Additional practical programmes delivery for other audiences will be also required.
The role will also involve delivering some live interpretation events at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo. You will assist the explainers in providing interpretation experiences throughout the day on a variety of topics within the zoo. Effective presentation skills are required to ensure these events achieve the educational and visitor enjoyment targets set by the ZSL. In addition, you will assist the education officers in the delivery of some formal learning sessions and activities to the wide range of audiences that attend ZSL Whipsnade Zoo as part of an education visit.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Experience of teaching in either a formal or informal education setting.
- Experience working in a zoo or animal related environment
- Ability to carry out and demonstrate to others correct animal husbandry and management skills.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills.
- Experience working with children and communicating to a wide range of audiences
- Previous experience of presenting public talks/shows/events
- Ability to learning new skills and information within a strict time limit e.g. performance skills, handling different animals, working with different departments in the zoo
- Available to work Saturdays
- Able to work in an outdoor environment for large period of time, in all weather conditions.
Applicants should send their CV and a covering letter detailing relevant experience and skills, by email to ZSL’s HR Department (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The closing date for this position is Thursday 20 December 2012
It is important that you are legally permitted to work in this country and will therefore need to provide us with evidence of your right to work in the UK.
Founded in 1826, the Zoological Society of London (ZSL) is an international scientific, conservation and educational charity: our key role is the conservation of animals and their habitats. The Society runs ZSL London Zoo and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, carries out scientific research at the Institute of Zoology and is actively involved in field conservation overseas. For further information please visit www.zsl.org. The Zoological Society of London is a registered Charity. No: 208728
Please mention Zoo News Digest should you apply for this vacancy
For Your Information