The position of an Aquarist has become available at Dubai Aquarium and Underwater Zoo. Therefore, we are glad to announce that applications for this position are currently being accepted.
Responsible for assisting the Curator, Assistant Curator, Senior Supervisor, and Supervisors in the acquisition, quarantine and daily care of a living collection of aquatic and terrestrial organisms at The Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo, and the conduct of internal and external research and monitoring activities.
nature & Scope
The job holder will be responsible for the daily care of all the animals within the Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo
Undertake general and specialized husbandry and curatorial duties to ensure optimal care of Aquarium and Underwater Zoo animals.
· Assists the Curator, Assistant Curator, Senior Supervisor, and Supervisors in maintaining the highest level of quality as it relates to the aquarium’s public and exhibit image
· Follow established written standards and protocols (SOP’s) for all exhibits to ensure the highest standards for water quality, operational efficiency, cleanliness and animal health
· Daily activities related to cleaning, maintenance, feeding and other husbandry activities required on a day-to-day basis, including routine checking of all aquarium exhibits and LSS areas.
· Provide feedback to superiors on improvements to animal care, LSS, exhibits and activities/protocols.
· Report issues and assist in the development of actions to rectify any faulty equipment or problems, in particular identify animal health or water quality problems and report to supervisor, medical and water quality staff and assist to develop a plan of action to handle the care and treatment of affected animals.
· Maintain all curatorial areas so they are safe and clean.
· Assists the Supervisor in maintaining an inventory of supplies, equipment and animal food items necessary for the daily care of the collection
· Work as a team with Guest Services and Front of House to provide a quality experience for guests and a safe and comfortable work environment for staff through continuous maintenance and improvement of visitor and behind-the-scenes spaces, including assisting Front of House with tour-guiding duties when necessary in and around the aquarium facility
· Deliver extraordinary customer service to all aquarium guests and other customers
· Assist in on-going aquarium research projects, both internally and externally
· Diving as required on a day to day basis, including maintenance diving, performance diving and shark/fish feeds, following company diving safety protocols and procedures and performing tasks to schedule and to an appropriate quality.
· Maintaining documentation and databases for diving, livestock (animal health and behaviour, acquisitions and mortalities), water quality, etc, where asked.
Qualifications & Experience (Competencies Required)
· A higher school degree in Biology, preferably Marine Biology or Oceanography or equivalent work experience
· Experience in maintaining an aquarium
· Open Water SCUBA certification from a recognized training agency.
· Computer skills an advantage
· Current Dubai driver’s license an advantage
· Any experience Birds or Reptiles is an advantage
Anyone whois interested in applying should email their updated resume with a covering letter outlining their suitability for the position to Mr. Mahmoud Nashabat -Recruitment Executive at MNashabat@emaar.ae Applications must be received no later than 5 pm on Wednesday, 21st March 2013.
Please mention Zoo News Digest should you apply for this post
Please also consider advertising your vacancy here in Zoo Jobs. Simply send it as an attachment or within the body of your email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Vacancies advertised here reach more zoo/aquarium staff in more zoos around the world faster than any other medium
For Your Further Information