Keeper - Brooklands Zoo
Keeper Brooklands Zoo (part-time)
This part-time (16 hours per week) position involves working with a dedicated team of animal care professionals to maintain the animal collection at Brooklands Zoo within the internationally renowned Pukekura Park.
Applicants for the position should preferably have or be working towards a recognised animal husbandry qualification, and have:
- Demonstrated animal care skills.
- Knowledge of animal husbandry.
- Experience in the care of a wide range of captive animals.
- Experience in the maintenance and operation of animal care facilities.
- A manual driver’s licence.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Positive motivation and a ‘can-do’ attitude.
- Availability to work weekends and public holidays as rostered.
If you think you have the skills, experience and knowledge and are prepared to go the extra mile to meet the challenges, then we would be pleased to hear from you.
Position title: Keeper Brooklands Zoo
Reports to: Head Keeper Brooklands Zoo
Purpose of the role
Keepers provide quality animal husbandry and visitor services and contribute to the effective and efficient operation of Brooklands Zoo. The position requires a commitment to meeting the needs of the facility and its customers by performing a variety of tasks associated with animal management, visitor services, carrying out those duties and responsibilities as defined in this position description or any other reasonable request from the employer which contributes to achieving the continued success of the Brooklands Zoo.
Internal: Parks field staff, other Council staff, particularly within the Community Services Teams.
External: Contractors, customers and users.
Customer service provision (five per cent of job, high importance)
• Provide services that are effective, efficient, consistent and focused on anticipating and exceeding customer expectations.
• Implement new methods, processes, equipment and technologies in conjunction with other teams to improve customer service, satisfaction, efficiency and effectiveness.
• Provide the right information to ensure that customers understand requirements and rationale for these or refer customers to Customer Support.
• Ensure requests are answered in a timely manner and meet the performance expectations set.
• Escalate requests to appropriate technical areas, community assets or area of expertise defined in service level agreement to meet customer needs.
• Maximise technology to ensure consistency and accuracy of information.
• Provide resolution to customers and look for opportunities to improve services.
• Undertake specified projects as required and agreed with the Assistant Curator Brooklands Zoo and Head Keeper.
• Customers receive services which exceed their expectations.
• Mechanisms are established with other teams for building and sustaining a positive relationship (internal and external) with customers in order to exceed their requirements and expectations.
• Measured level of customer satisfaction increases.
• Development of customer services increases.
• Public enquiries are met.
Operational delivery (95 per cent of job, high importance)
• Carry out all work safely.
• Report all accidents and near miss within the same day.
• Ability to work within a seven day roster.
• Utilise resources effectively.
• To carry out general husbandry for the animals in your care.
• To carry out environmental enrichment.
• Maintain high standards of welfare and husbandry on your section.
• Ensure equipment is maintained to maximise usage.
• Report any damage breakage or loss within the same day.
• Provide information/report to maintain relevant records.
• Provide information to customers and other relevant stakeholders as required.
• Comply with all in-house rules, policies and regulation of Parks, NPDC and Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) Zoo standards.
• Work and interact with others in a manner of good conduct.
• Record timesheet codes, areas and times accurately.
• Keep detailed animal husbandry/behavioural records.
• Follow processes listed in the Brooklands Zoo Containment Manual.
• Liaise with the Head Keepers and/or Assistant Curator Brooklands Zoo regarding daily operations.
• Work and interact with work experience students and volunteers when required.
• Effectiveness, efficiency and sensitivity of operational work is achieved.
• Work is carried out safely in conjunction with all NPDC and Parks health and safety policies and in line with the relevant health and safety and environment legislation.
• Accurate information is collected and provided for record keeping.
• Operations meet required standards and customer needs.
• Commitment and accountability.
• Applying expertise.
• Customer driven.
• Effective communication.
Optional (where applicable):
• Coaching for performance.
• Relationship with elected members.
• Ability to be diplomatic and sensitive when dealing with the public.
• Ability to follow procedures and practices and follow instructions.
• Ability to assess hazards to safety and to mitigate or document these.
• Ability to undertake and manage multiple and diverse objectives/projects, including coordinating activities around feeding times.
• Sensitivity to and awareness of animal needs and behaviours.
• Lifting of up to 25kg.
• Pushing a wheelie full of substrate for up to 50 metres.
• Carrying buckets up to 20 metres to and from enclosures.
• Ability to move for long periods of time.
• Ability to climb ladders and work at heights up to three metres from the ground.
• Absence of OOS.
• Absence of debilitating allergies and sensitivity to materials used for cleaning animals and their homes.
• Normal visual acuity and ability to hear.
• Able to handle offensive matter.
• Ability to attach implements and to use them.
• Ability to work in all weather conditions.
Qualifications and knowledge
• Full manual drivers’ licence for relevant vehicle classes.
• Relevant animal husbandry qualification or working towards a relevant qualification.
• Field experience in the care and husbandry of contained animals.
• To support the Assistant Curator Brooklands Zoo to deliver professional, efficient and effective services.
• To participate in operations that are conducted safely within a culture of ‘safety first’.
• Develop personal and professional skills and technical knowledge within the range of Zoo operations.
Key performance indicators
• Manager satisfaction.
• Customer satisfaction.
• Efficient utilisation of resources – equipment.
• Avoidance of accidents/incidents.
• Absence of complaints.
• Minimal absenteeism.
• To participate in the delivery of services to meet a high level of performance and customer expectations within the Parks Zoo Team.
Terms and conditions
The general conditions of appointment are set out in the Parks Services Collective Employment Agreement. The main features and job specific features are set out below:
The pay for the position is $32,332 (85 per cent) to $38,038 (100 per cent) per annum.
b) Hours of Work
The ordinary hours of work shall be up to sixteen hours per week to be worked between 6am and 6pm on any day and to be rostered up to any five of the seven days Monday to Sunday inclusive.
The appointee shall maintain a neat and tidy standard of dress during working hours.
d) Health and Safety
The appointee shall be required to wear appropriate safety equipment as and when necessary and cooperate and participate in the Council’s health and safety programme. Safety equipment will be provided by New Plymouth District Council.
Any applicant canvassing any elected member of the Council or of any community board shall automatically be disqualified from appointment; provided that this shall not preclude any applicant from nominating any such elected member as a referee.
To Apply Now Click HERE
Zoo News Digest
should you apply for this post
Zoo News Digest
should you apply for this post
For regular updated Zoo News, Views, Reviews and Vacancies please visit
Zoo News Digest
Zoo News Digest
The Zoo Professionals Book Store
if you are looking for a book. This is an Amazon affiliate and you will get a good deal
you can subscribe to the largest and longest established zoo related ezine
Money for Free
If you can write, you can earn. Write about what you like or what you know about. Build up a passive income which will earn you money daily. No catch, no charge. Click on the link below and you could start earning today