Peripatetic Resource Technician and Practical Instructor (Animal Care)
Based between Enfield, Crystal Palace and Gunnersbury Park Centres
£17,990 to £22,659 plus £1,737.50 LW.
Our client is looking to recruit a full-time Resource Technician and Practical Instructor (Animal Care). This role is Peripatetic and will involve travel between centres (Enfield, Crystal Palace, Gunnersbury Park).
About the College
Capel Manor College in Greater London, is a vocational college delivering courses in Arboriculture and Countryside, Animal Care and Saddlery, Floristry and Balloon Artistry, Garden Design and Horticulture.
· The day-to-day routine care of the College’s animal stock to include cleaning out of accommodation, provision of feed, water, bedding, nesting material, and daily health checks.
- Supervising and allocating tasks for college students carrying out practical duties in animal areas.
- Assisting academic staff within the School with the supervision of students and providing technical assistance and advice as required.
· Completing records relating to routine animal care, reporting any abnormalities or problems to Supervisor/Line Manager as appropriate.
· Ordering feed, bedding and other consumables as required in consultation with Line Manager. Storage, security and stock control of such consumables.
· Ensuring high standards of hygiene and cleanliness in all animal areas and associated storage and service areas.
· Ensuring the correct disposal of all waste from the animal areas.
· The exercising, training and handling of animal stock as appropriate and as required.
· Providing demonstrations and technical instruction to students undertaking practical animal care and associated tuition.
- Ensuring that all requirements and regulations relating to health and safety are adhered to at all times. Responsible for ensuring that the health and safety of students is maintained whilst undertaking practical sessions.
· Undertaking the assessment and documentation of students’ practical abilities in accordance with specified criteria.
· Liaising with external bodies e.g. vet, RSPCA, Defra etc. as appropriate.
· Liaising internally with other staff as appropriate with regard to animal activities and co-operating to maintain continuity of care during weekends and holidays.
· Any other reasonable duties of a comparable nature as required by the Line Manager.
· Experience of caring for a range of rodents, reptiles, birds and farm-stock on a day-to-day basis.
· Level 3 qualification or higher in an animal care discipline e.g. City & Guilds or BTEC Diploma / Extended Diploma. Willingness to work towards a DTTLS Teaching qualification.
· Good interpersonal/ communication skills.
· Knowledge of correct hygiene and cleaning procedures for Animal Unit and associated areas.
· Awareness of Health and Safety issues with regard to own duties and the Animal Unit.
· To follow rotas and working routines carefully and conscientiously.
· To keep accurate records.
· To work effectively unsupervised as well as part of a team.
Start date: ASAP
Closing date: 12.05.14
This post is subject to enhanced DBS disclosure and barring list beck as it is within regulated activity due to Capel Manor College being defined as a ‘specified place’.
Capel Manor College aims to employ a workforce which reflects the community it serves. Therefore applications from minority groups are welcomed. The College is a Two Ticks Employer (Positive About Disabled People) and therefore where applicants indicate they have a disability and meet the essential criteria in the person specification, they will be short-listed for interview.
Capel Manor College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff to share this commitment.
It is anticipated that candidates who progress from the application stage will be asked to attend the College for an interview within three weeks of the closing date. Therefore, if you do not hear from the College within that time you may assume that your application has been unsuccessful.
To apply, in the first instance, please send a copy of your CV along with covering letter to: Capel@r21education.co.uk Please note, if you are successful in the selection process you will be required to complete a College application form before the advertised close date. A CV will not be accepted on its own.