Head Keeper of Ungulates
West Midland Safari Park
Hours: Based on 37.5 hours, over 5 days. The role involves weekend and bank holiday work as well as evening work during Park events.
Description: West Midland Safari Park is currently seeking a permanent Head Keeper for their Ungulate Section. The area includes a large number of ungulate species, including giraffe, white rhino, Asian rhino, common hippo, and a number of antelope, bovids and equids managed in drive through exhibits, along with lemurs, meerkats and domestic stock in a walk round area. The role requires direct involvement in the daily management of the animals on the section along with mentoring, training and developing the team.
The successful candidate will need to demonstrate:
- A proven track record of the management of these species and be able to demonstrate a range of skills and knowledge in this field.
- A high level of interpersonal and people management skills.
- An ability to interact with visitors and a high level of customer care.
- Excellent leadership qualities and proven track record of supervising a large team of permanent and seasonal staff.
- An ability to liaise with Department Managers and communicate at all levels.
- An excellent understanding of animal husbandry.
- A professional and methodical approach to record keeping, staff training and health and safety.
- The ability to develop the section along with both seasonal and permanent staff in the area.
Due to the nature of the role all candidates must have a full, valid driving license. In addition, the successful candidate will need an appropriate related qualification in an Animal Management discipline, along with previous experience in a managing staff in a similar role, which will allow them to understand and develop the section. Firearms experience would be preferable but not essential.
To submit your application for this role, please Apply Online
Please don't forget to mention you saw this advert in