South Asia Programme Intern
The Zoological Society of London is looking for an intern, based at ZSL's offices in Regents Park, to provide support on a long term project on the Brahmaputra River Dolphin and freshwater ecosystem and occasional support on other exciting projects in the South Asia programme. The Brahmaputra River Dolphin Project is a collaborative project between ZSL and Aaranyak, a leading NGO in Assam aiming at long term conservation of the Brahmaputra River Dolphin.
Main tasks would include:
1. Carrying out literature reviews, compiling existing data and helping develop field methods
2. Field data analysis
3. Helping compile scientific reports and publications
4. Helping in the development of field training, community awareness and engagement material and activities
5. Attending meetings and events related to the South Asia programme
The work involved will be desk-based only in the first instance.
The ideal candidate should:
• have an undergraduate degree or above in ecology, environmental science or biology; some experience in fresh-water ecology will be useful
• have excellent English both written and spoken
• be IT proficient
• have strong research skills, be hard working and self motivated.
• have knowledge of quantitative research methods
• A professional working environment
• Supervision by Conservation Programme staff and interaction with scientists and conservation biologists working at the Institute of Zoology and Conservation Programmes at ZSL.
• Experience working within an active conservation organisation
• Facilities including computer, internet, library and relevant software
• Up to a 12 month opportunity with daily expense (travel Zones 1-6 and lunch costs - max £5 per day)
Period of volunteer placement:
• 1st October 2010 – up to 30th September 2011
• Three days per week with five days holiday and five Public Holidays
Please send your CV and letter of application by post or email to: Human Resources Department, Zoological Society of London, Regents Park NW1 4RY or email@example.com
Closing date for applications: Friday 24 September 2010
Interviews will take place on 29th September 2010
Please Mention Zoo News Digest should you apply for this post
For regular updated Zoo News, Views, Reviews and Vacancies please visit
Zoo News Digest on
Zoo News Digest on
Learn More About Zoos and Aquariums by visiting