ZOOLOGICAL MANAGER POSITION
This is a salaried position. The Zoological Manager will spend the majority of his/her time in supervisory and administrative tasks. The remainder of the time will be spent working directly with the keepers and the animals on the Section’s Animal Strings. Each Zoological Manager is responsible for designated work area or Section in the Department. The Section under this position has a wide variety of animals including large carnivores, birds, large ungulates, and reptiles. Staff within the Section will report directly to the Zoological Manager. He/She will perform job performance evaluations with staff in his/her work section and ongoing performance management. The Zoological Manager will be available to assist in procedures and projects, answer questions, facilitate maintenance or grounds work, coordinate interdepartmental projects etc. The Zoological Manager will cover Section Strings as a floating keeper as necessary. He/She is also responsible for various administrative and future planning tasks as assigned by the General Curator. The Zoological Manager should be capable of taking charge of the Animal Department and addressing all potential problems and emergencies.
• Minimum of five years experience as an animal keeper in an AZA accredited zoo.
• 2 years experience as a supervisor- responsible for training supervision, providing performance feedback and conflict resolution
• Valid, clean drivers license
• Willingness to work unusual hours, weekends and holidays
• Good physical condition; able to lift a minimum of 50 lbs. and move a minimum of 120 lbs.
• Thorough understanding of behavioral training theory and practical application
• Thorough knowledge of capture and restraint techniques
• Thorough understanding of safety procedures used with captive wildlife
• Excellent communication skills
Experience and Qualities Preferred
• Bachelors degree in zoology, biology or a related field
• Specialized knowledge and experience with birds; experience with large carnivores, large ungulates and/or reptiles valuble
• Computer proficiency
• Leadership training and skills
Salary and Benefits: Starting salary $45,000 annually for full-time, exempt position. Full benefits plus two weeks vacation.
CLOSING DATE: October 1, 2010
Candidates who do not meet minimum requirements will not receive a response.
Send resume, cover letter and 3 work references to:
Colleen Kinzley, General Curator
Please Mention Zoo News Digest should you apply for this post
For regular updated Zoo News, Views, Reviews and Vacancies please visit
Zoo News Digest on
Zoo News Digest on
Learn More About Zoos and Aquariums by visiting