Vet Nurse - Australia Zoo
Department: Australia Zoo Wildlife Warriors
Position Description: As the Veterinary Nurse, you will have the primary responsibility of the cleaning, care and rehabilitation of sick or injured Zoo animals within the hospital and Zoo grounds under the direction of the Zoo veterinarian. You will assist the Veterinarian with procedures and daily duties. You will be also required to work closely and in cooperation with the Hospital Manager. Compassion and a commitment to conservation are an important part of this role. Although your primary responsibility will be associated with Zoo animals, there will be a requirement to assist with wildlife when requested by the Zoo vet.
Duties may include:
• Maintain the highest standard of animal welfare.
• Maintain cleaning and maintenance of all the animal enclosures.
• Ensure the hygiene of the enclosures and hospital is held at a high level.
• Undertake quarantine procedures.
• Conduct environment and enclosure safety checks.
• Medicate animals as required by the veterinarian.
• Prepare food and conduct feeding of animals in accordance with diet requirements feeding schedules and procedures.
• Update Zoo animal files with medical information, animal behavior and health observations.
• Keep and maintain Veterinary Nurse Day book.
• Follow the Radiation safety and protection plan.
• Liaise with Zookeepers and wildlife carers and rescuers.
• Keep up to date with all areas of Veterinary nursing and wildlife care.
• Participate in performance training and development reviews or programs as requested by the company both on and off the job.
• Attend meetings as request by the Zoo Veterinarian, Curator, or Hospital Manager.
• Maintain security procedures.
• Establish a relationship with keepers and their animals.
• Maintain the pathology image slide database.
• Maintain and manage the zoo hospital's pharmacy and equipment
• Assist in the implementation and management of the zoo's preventative health program under the direction of the zoo's veterinarian (this would include parasite surveillance and control, vaccination programs, contraception calendar etc)
• Assist the zoo's veterinarian in complying with various regulatory requirements (eg permitting process for etorphine and various imported drugs etc)
• Assist in the ongoing development of an integrated zoo veterinary service
• Provide a high standard of customer service and publicity.
• Work within the guidelines of health and safety procedures to ensure both animals, personal and visitor security.
• Maintain and ensure a commitment to privacy and confidentiality.
• Conduct public education on wildlife rescue and rehabilitation.
• Supervision of work experience students and volunteers.
• Experience in the anesthetic monitoring and management of a wide range of exotic and native zoo animals including birds, reptiles, native mammals, exotic carnivores and exotic hoof stock is desired, but not essential.
• Attained Certificate IV Veterinary Nursing
• Availability to work on Weekend
• Availability to work Shift work if required.
• Proven ability to perform the above duties
Weekend availability and own transport required. This position may also include night shifts.
Apply for this job below. Applications close 4th of May 2011
Here is a checklist of information you will need to have ready before you start to complete the employment application form:
•Any qualifications you may have eg First Aid
•Any achievements you may like to tell us about
•your availability (what hours can you work)
•A resume in .pdf or .doc format
•Any other info that may support your application
Please allow 20 minutes to complete the application.
Click HERE to start application
Zoo News Digest
should you apply for this post
For regular updated Zoo News, Views, Reviews and Vacancies please visit
Zoo News Digest
Zoo News Digest
The Zoo Professionals Book Store
if you are looking for a book. This is an Amazon affiliate and you will get a good deal
you can subscribe to the largest and longest established zoo related ezine
Money for Free
If you can write, you can earn. Write about what you like or what you know about. Build up a passive income which will earn you money daily. No catch, no charge. Click on the link below and you could start earning today