Fota Wildlife Park, part of the Zoological Society of Ireland, is located on 73 acres at Fota Island 10Km east of Cork City and has an annual attendance of 380,000 visitors
Fota Wildlife Park’s vision is to inspire people to understand and conserve the biodiversity of our natural world. The Park’s core values of conservation, education, research and entertainment have ensured that we are uniquely placed to foster greater public understanding of the threats to plant and animal habitats and decreasing global biodiversity. Fota Wildlife Park has made considerable investment in the past 3 years upgrading its infrastructure and is currently engaged in a programme to develop an additional 27 acres which will focus on Asian animals and plants.
An exciting opportunity has now arisen for a Lead Warden
The Lead Warden will be required to work in a team with two other Lead Wardens, report to the Operations Manager and be responsible for the daily management of the animals, personnel, facilities and programmes in their area. The successful candidate will be required to manage areas that include mammals, particularly large felids but also birds, reptiles, amphibians, fish, invertebrates and plants.
Duties will include the following:
- Carry out day to day animal husbandry duties using agreed standard operating procedures.
- Work effectively with Management and Staff at Fota Wildlife Park
- Be able to assume a ‘Duty Warden’ role on a rotating basis every three months.
To be considered for this post the following Qualifications and Experience are essential
- Be qualified in an appropriate wild animal husbandry, biological or conservation discipline.
- Have a minimum of five years’ work experience in wild animal husbandry
It is also essential that candidates are able to demonstrate the following personal competencies
- Ability to lead a team and take responsibility for a section
- Act as a ‘Duty Lead Warden’ on a rotation basis
- Demonstrate strong customer engagement and people handling skills
Experience in the following would be an advantage:
· Experience in a Team Leading Role
· Experience working with large felids but also birds, reptiles, amphibians, fish, invertebrates and plants.
- 39 hour week with alternative weekend work as per rota
- Salary package include pension is in the region €40,000 per annum.
Completed applications forms should be returned by email only to email@example.com before 5:00pm on Wednesday 8th January2014.
Please note canvassing in any form will lead to immediate disqualification. Any enquiries regarding this post should be strictly addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org. We do not require the services of agencies to fill this post.
Did you know that Zoo/Aquarium vacancies posted here reach more people in more zoos around the world than in any other publication?
should you apply for this post
For regular updated Zoo News, Views, Reviews and Vacancies please visit
Zoo News Digest
Zoo News Digest
The Zoo Professionals Book Store
if you are looking for a book. This is an Amazon affiliate and you will get a good deal
you can subscribe to the largest and longest established zoo related ezine
Money for Free
If you can write, you can earn. Write about what you like or what you know about. Build up a passive income which will earn you money daily. No catch, no charge. Click on the link below and you could start earning today