Full-Time Head Penguin Keeper
Oceanworld Aquarium Dingle is looking for an experienced penguin keeper to join our team. We are seeking a motivated, team oriented individual who will be responsible for the management and husbandry of our Polar Penguin Display, which houses 12 Gentoo penguins.
As well as looking after the welfare of the penguins and dealing with record keeping and associated paperwork, you will be required to assist the aquarist with the maintenance and husbandry of a variety of marine and freshwater species, and engage with visitors to the Aquarium.
The successful candidate will ideally have:
- BSc in Zoology / Marine Biology or a related field
- Diploma in the Management of Zoo and Aquarium Animals (previously ANCMZA) or a willingness to work towards this
- Minimum one year practical experience in a zoo or aquarium with experience of penguin husbandry essential
- Experience with food handling, preparation, nutrition and feeding techniques in a zoo or aquarium setting
- Previous experience of managing staff and volunteers desirable
- PADI Open Water Diver certificate advantageous
- Knowledge of the husbandry requirements for the species, including breeding behaviour, chick management and moult.
- Knowledge of health issues and preventative care regimes to maintain good health.
- Knowledge of animal training techniques.
- Knowledge of the issues relating to the conservation and education role of zoos.
- Practical skills relating to animal husbandry.
- Interpersonal relationship skills.
- Must be good with animals.
- Accurate transcription of data and written information.
- Good communication skills, both oral and written.
- Good computer skills for accurate record keeping
Applicants are asked to send a CV and covering letter detailing how they fit the requirements of the role to: email@example.com no later than Friday 4th April 2014
Máire O Shea
- To care for the animals, their enclosures & support equipment & to ensure that the health & well being of the animals is managed correctly at all times.
- To manage other staff working on the penguin section
- Carry out the daily cleaning & servicing of the penguin exhibit & to undertake any other relevant duties.
- Accurately report & communicate to relevant staff all important events that occur.
- Plan and maintain the management strategy for the penguin section
- Maintain all paperwork and records for the section to comply with Zoo Licencing and BIAZA requirements
- Help maintain interesting & well kept animal exhibits so that the species represented are portrayed in an appropriate way.
- Support & contribute to the effective breeding management of species in your care & to support any agreed conservation & research programmes.
- Contribute to any agreed animal training programmes.
- Support & implement behavioural enrichment protocols for the animals in your care.
- Support colleagues & volunteers & students when they are working on Section.
- Adhere to dress code standards and uniform policies at all times.
Help out with visitor services by giving talks, providing tours and engaging with visitors at exhibits to promote the aims of the organisation.
You may be required to communicate with the media regarding penguin issues.
Health & Safety
Ensure that the management of Health and Safety is carried out as required by ensuring safe working practices are adhered to.
This is a full time position working 40 hours per week to include some weekends, bank holidays and evenings.
Flexibility is required as the department operates for 365 days a year.
There may be occasions when the post holder is requested to work in other locations, or carry out other duties considered reasonable by management.
Applications from non-EU residents are welcome but candidates must possess a valid working visa or be in a position to obtain one.
Did you know that Zoo/Aquarium vacancies posted here reach more people in more zoos around the world than in any other publication?
should you apply for this post
For regular updated Zoo News, Views, Reviews and Vacancies please visit
Zoo News Digest
Zoo News Digest
The Zoo Professionals Book Store
if you are looking for a book. This is an Amazon affiliate and you will get a good deal
you can subscribe to the largest and longest established zoo related ezine
Money for Free
If you can write, you can earn. Write about what you like or what you know about. Build up a passive income which will earn you money daily. No catch, no charge. Click on the link below and you could start earning today