Endangered Primate Species Centre Manager
The Endangered Asian Species Trust founded by Monkey World Ape-Rescue UK, is currently seeking a manager to work in Vietnam at the Dao Tien Endangered Primate Species Centre, on a two year placement.
In 2008 the Dao Tien Endangered Primate Species Centre was established in Cat Tien National Park, in direct collaboration with the Vietnamese Government. Dao Tien focuses on four species of primate (golden-cheeked gibbon, black-shanked douc, silvered langur and pygmy loris), supporting the Vietnamese Government with rescue, rehabilitation and developing reintroduction techniques for healthy individuals. In addition to finding solutions for individuals not fit for release. The centre is located in a remote location, on a 56 ha island- applicants must be comfortable with this isolated lifestyle
Basic job information
We are currently recruiting for an onsite manager based on the island of Dao Tien in Vietnam. This post offers a fantastic opportunity to work with in situ conservation on the front-line.
- Animal responsibilities Supporting and training our Vietnamese primate care team in daily husbandry
- Observe the centres primates for signs of illness, injury or assessment of rehabilitation
- Able to undertake basic veterinary nurse skills (under guidance)
- Monitoring diets and protocols (food quality, variety and hygiene)
- Maintaining appropriate environmental and behavioural enrichment
- Supervising cage infrastructure maintenance/development (identify the need for the repair or replacement of facilities and equipment)
- Supervising maintenance of solar panel electric fences for semi-forested gibbon enclosures (2-20ha)
- Supporting the Forestry Protection Department on rescues, with animal handling and intensive care procedures.
Admin, education and capacity building responsibilities
- Capacity building within our Vietnamese team members
- The manager will work closely with our head Vietnamese keeper and Vietnamese Director ensuring staffing rotas are complete.
- Supervising International volunteers and researchers. (in particular guiding the work of animal and education volunteers)
- Maintaining animal/financial and eco-tourism records and reports
- Reporting to Vietnamese and UK Director on a regular basis.
- Overseeing monthly budgets
- Conducting guided educational tours in English on Dao Tien and education to schools when necessary
- Representing Dao Tien at media interviews, internal and external meetings.
- Candidates will have a higher education qualification in a Zoological related science (min degree) or equivalent experience.
- A minimum of three years primate care experience essential
- Experience in basic veterinary nurse skills desirable
- Excellent communication skills are required, both verbal and written, in English. With a willingness to learn basic Vietnamese.
- Applicants must be prepared to work flexible hours, dependent on rescue centre needs.
- Leadership skills with the ability to build strong working relationships across teams
- Excellent project management skills, the ability to prioritise and time management skills are essential.
- The successful applicant must meet this position's medical standard including required vaccinations
Salary will vary based on experience and length of contract (£10,000 - £16,000 per annum). In addition to the agreed salary basic food and accommodation will be provided on site at Dao Tien at no charge, and one International flight per year will be paid for by EAST.
To apply for this position, please provide your current CV and a covering letter stating why you believe you should be considered for the Manager position to- email@example.com
PLEASE, NO PHONE INQUIRIES.
Applicants are thanked in advance and advised that only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
Application Deadline 30/06/2015
Please don't forget to mention you saw this advert in