Angkor Centre for Conservation of Biodiversity, Cambodia
The Angkor Centre for Conservation of Biodiversity (ACCB) was established in 2003 by the Allwetterzoo Münster and the Zoological Society for the Conservation of Species and Populations (ZGAP). It is the first nature conservation centre in Cambodia, located on 25 ha of land in the Phnom Kulen National Park, ca. 40 km north of Siem Reap and the temples of Angkor Wat. The goals of the ACCB are the rehabilitation of confiscated, mainly globally threatened wildlife and the conservation breeding of selected species, in combination with environmental education and capacity building of local communities as well as in-situ conservation and research.
The ACCB is currently looking to fill the position of Volunteer Keeper to join our team of eight Cambodian keepers, one expatriate Head Keeper and one expatriate Curator for a period of six months. This is a challenging position in a demanding environment suitable for a highly dedicated and motivated individual.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Carry out all aspects of animal husbandry (e.g. daily routines, appropriate rehabilitation and release) related to the current stock of c. 250 mammals, birds and reptiles.
- Carry out building and maintenance work.
- Assist with training of Cambodian animal keepers and site support staff.
- Assist with education work and field research as required.
- Assist with the general daily operation of the centre.
- Good command of English.
- Excellent organisational and communication skills and ability to multi-task.
- Experience in animal husbandry, ideally with a special interest in tortoises, turtles and birds.
- Good practical skills.
- Physically fit and able to work in a hot and humid climate.
- Ability to live under simple conditions in a remote, rural and isolated area.
Conditions / remuneration:
Visa cost for the duration of the contract will be covered. Free shared accommodation at ACCB and a small allowance to cover living expenses will be provided. On-site transport and satellite internet are available, also for reasonable personal use. Preference will be given to candidates indicating that they are prepared to stay for longer periods. The work agreement is on a volunteer basis (not as staff of Münster Zoo or ZGAP), thus health or social insurance contributions will not be covered.
Starting date: As soon as possible; applications will be reviewed as they are received.
Please apply via email including covering letter, CV and the contact details of two referees to:
Dr. Martina Raffel, Allwetterzoo Münster, Sentruper Straße 315, D-48161 Münster, Germany. Email: email@example.com
and copy your application to:
Christel Griffioen, Head Keeper, Angkor Centre for Conservation of Biodiversity (ACCB), Siem Reap, Cambodia. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please don't forget to mention you saw this advert in