QUALIFIED ANIMAL KEEPER
A vacancy has arisen for a Qualified Animal Keeper at Banham Zoo.
About the role:
The successful candidate will work under the leadership of our Lead Qualified, Assistant Head and Head Keepers, providing the best possible care and management for our diverse collection of animals. Taxa include primates, felids, canids, large hoofstock (including giraffe), small mammals and birds.
Flexibility is key to the successful operation of the animal department as a whole and Qualified Animal Keepers are expected to be able to provide cover across a range of species.
• Provide the highest level of husbandry according to the needs and requirements of the animals in your care
• Effectively handle animals to minimize stress and risk of injury to all involved
• Assist in the supervision and development of staff responsible to the role to address staff learning and development needs and promote a positive working environment
• Ensure a positive impression of yourself and the company is presented to all customers (internal and external) at all times to reflect the quality of the organisation
• Monitor compliance within the department of policies and procedures in relation to administration and health and safety to ensure they are appropriately followed
• Continuously develop yourself through appropriate learning and development activities as agreed by line management in order to deliver excellence
You are expected to have worked full time in a zoo environment for at least 4 years. You MUST possess the Advanced National Certificate in the Management of Zoo Animals (ANCMZA) or Diploma in the Management of Zoo and Aquarium Animals (DMZAA) and have experience working with some of the taxa identified above. If you do not hold this qualification you will not be considered for the position. The successful candidates will be able to demonstrate excellent communication skills. Previous experience with felids and large hoof stock an advantage.
You will have an understanding and interest in modern zoo animal management, including animal enrichment and training using operant conditioning methods.
A full driving licence is essential and candidates are expected to be computer literate with a reasonable understanding of Microsoft Word and ZIMS although training in ZIMS can be provided if necessary.
Based at Banham Zoo you will work an average 40 hour week with every third weekend off, however, working hours will be flexible and include bank holidays and occasional evenings.
Some additional weekend cover may be required to provide holiday cover.
If you would like an opportunity to join our team please visit our website www.banhamzoo.co.uk Download and complete an application form and send it, with a covering letter, explaining why you would be a suitable candidate for this position to:- Sarah Jermy, Head Keeper, Banham Zoo, The Grove, Banham Norfolk NR16 2HE or email email@example.com
Closing date is the 6th November 2015, applications made after this date will not be considered.
Please don't forget to mention you saw this advert in