Project Manager for the Angkor Centre for Conservation of Biodiversity at Kbal Spean, Cambodia
Münster Zoo is looking for a highly motivated and dedicated person as Project Manager for the Angkor Centre for Conservation of Biodiversity (ACCB) in Cambodia.
The ACCB, located on 25 hectares of land at the historical site of Kbal Spean in the Phnom Kulen National Park, 40 km north of Siem Reap and the temples of Angkor, is the first Nature Conservation Centre in Cambodia. Its aim is to contribute to the preservation of wildlife and biodiversity, mainly in the northwest of the country. A rescue and breeding facility for threatened wildlife and an environmental education programme aimed at the local population as well as national and international visitors are the heart of the ACCB. Due to a grant in 2014, field research and in situ conservation activities as well as the education programme will be intensified.
Please refer to the project's website at www.accb-cambodia.org and to the ACCB Facebook page www.facebook.com/ACCBCambodia for more information before applying.
Duties and responsibilities:
The Project Manager will be responsible for the further development of the project, i.e. maintenance and extension of the different project components and cooperation with the Cambodian authorities as well as with local, national or international NGOs.
The duties and responsibilities on site cover amongst others:
- Day to day management of the project and supervision of the different project components
- Development of infrastructure, appropriate training, and implementing management, administrative and operational systems
- Supervision of the project staff and international volunteers working on site
- Staff training
- Development of annual budgets and workplans
- Preparation of reports at given deadlines
- Support of the fundraising and grant writing activities for the project
- Facilitation of respective (field) research
- Active involvement in the day to day care of the (presently small, but growing) stock of highly threatened species
- Attending meetings/ workshops/ conferences and giving public presentations
Requirements and skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field, Master’s degree strongly preferred.
- Relevant experience in animal husbandry and conservation work in situ and ex situ.
- Practical experience in project and office management, including administration, budgeting and accounting, reporting and fundraising, staff management and development.
- Ability to work independently, but in close co-operation with the executing organisation in Germany and the main donor.
- Good organisational skills, reliability and ability to multi-task.
- Excellent interpersonal and diplomatic communication skills.
- Good common sense and problem solving skills.
- Flexible and patient, good sense of humour.
- Good command of English (oral and written) and good writing skills.
- Ability to cope with simple living conditions in a rural and isolated area.
- Physically fit and able to live in a hot and humid climate.
- Practical skills and valid driver’s license.
- Previous experience in tropical countries, especially Southeast-Asia, strongly preferred.
- Preference will be given to persons indicating that they are willing to stay for longer periods (after successful probation period).
An initial contract of three years will be offered, subject to a three-month probation period. The contract will be offered on a compensatory volunteer basis, not as permanent staff of Münster Zoo. Therefore, social insurance contributions will not be covered.
As soon as possible. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
To apply, please send a cover letter indicating your interest and detailing your suitability along with a CV and the names of at least two referees via email to:
Dr. Martina Raffel, firstname.lastname@example.org (postal address: Allwetterzoo Münster, Sentruper
Str. 315, Münster 48161, Germany)
Please mention in your cover letter where you saw the job advertised.
Closing date for application: 31.1.2014
Did you know that Zoo/Aquarium vacancies posted here reach more people in more zoos around the world than in any other publication?
should you apply for this post
For regular updated Zoo News, Views, Reviews and Vacancies please visit
Zoo News Digest
Zoo News Digest
The Zoo Professionals Book Store
if you are looking for a book. This is an Amazon affiliate and you will get a good deal
you can subscribe to the largest and longest established zoo related ezine
Money for Free
If you can write, you can earn. Write about what you like or what you know about. Build up a passive income which will earn you money daily. No catch, no charge. Click on the link below and you could start earning today