Applications are invited for the position of
African Association of Zoos and Aquaria (PAAZAB)
Purpose of position: The primary purpose of this position is to serve as the Executive Officer of the Association and take responsibility for the operations of the Executive Office. The incumbent will oversee the overall strategic development of the Association, in line with the approved strategic plan and imperatives of the Association.
Specific functions and activities:
Drive the implementation of, and give effect to, the Council and Executive Committee decisions and directions of the Association;
Provide effective operational and administrative support to the PAAZAB Council and the Executive Committee;
Ensure that the Association is represented effectively at, and contributes to, all relevant and important forums, and to provide knowledgeable leadership on matters of interest;
Be the first point of contact for all stakeholders that engage with the Association,
Be the public face of the Association, thus serving as the brand champion for the Association, its membership and the zoo & aquarium industry in general;
See to proper administration of the Association's finances and support the responsible member(s) of the PAAZAB Executive in ensuring that the affairs of the Association are conducted in line with sound governance and legislative requirements and according to the PAAZAB constitution;
Co-ordinate the implementation of the PAAZAB Operational Standard, the Accreditation Standard and all other industry standards adopted by the Association;
Co-ordinate and support the work of standing committees and structures of the Association
Market the Association actively and diligently to potential members
Ensure that existing members are satisfactorily served and supported
Actively source funding opportunities for PAAZAB to improve the financial viability of the Association
1. The minimum of a bachelor's degree or equivalent in a zoological, environmental or wildlife area and at least 10 years working experience in a zoo or aquarium, or related field .
2. A sound knowledge and understanding of the zoo and aquarium industry, locally, regionally and internationally.
3. Up to date knowledge and experience of trends in the zoo and aquarium industry, the field of wildlife conservation and the specific role that zoos and aquaria can play therein.
4. Appreciation and understanding of the education and public engagement role played by zoos and aquaria.
5. Experience in managing the public interface, particularly the political dynamics in the field of wildlife conservation and its impact on the zoo and aquarium industry.
6. Insight, sensitivity, and the emotional maturity to deal with people at all levels and from all cultures and points of view.
7. Excellent communication and writing skills.
8. Good project management and execution skills.
9. Senior management experience will be a distinct advantage.
Comprehensive CVs with a covering letter explaining the applicant's suitability for the position should be sent to: The Chairman, African Association of Zoos & Aquaria, c/o National Zoological Gardens of SA, P.O. Box 754, Pretoria, 0001, or e-mailed to email@example.com on or before the 28th February 2014. All applications must contain a list of contactable referees.
Did you know that Zoo/Aquarium vacancies posted here reach more people in more zoos around the world than in any other publication?
should you apply for this post
For regular updated Zoo News, Views, Reviews and Vacancies please visit
Zoo News Digest
Zoo News Digest
The Zoo Professionals Book Store
if you are looking for a book. This is an Amazon affiliate and you will get a good deal
you can subscribe to the largest and longest established zoo related ezine
Money for Free
If you can write, you can earn. Write about what you like or what you know about. Build up a passive income which will earn you money daily. No catch, no charge. Click on the link below and you could start earning today