Senior Animal Keeper, Animal Activities
Position: Senior Animal Keeper, Animal Activities (Full-time / Permanent)
Salary: £29,472 (Inclusive of London Weighting and Weekend Enhancement)
Location: ZSL London Zoo – NW1
The Zoological Society of London (ZSL), a charity founded in 1826, is a world-renowned centre of excellence for conservation science and applied conservation. ZSL’s mission is to promote and achieve the worldwide conservation of animals and their habitats. This is realised by carrying out field conservation and research in over 50 countries across the globe and through education and awareness-raising at our two zoos, ZSL London Zoo and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, inspiring people to take conservation action.
Overview of Role:
An opening has arisen for a Senior/Lead Animal Demonstration Keeper in our Animal Activities section at ZSL London Zoo. The successful candidate will work alongside the Team Leader and Deputy Team Leader in managing the daily running and production of the displays. The focus of the displays is on natural behaviour, education, the promotion of conservation and the wider work of ZSL; the successful candidate will be expected to develop the displays with these points in mind.
The role will also involve the day to day husbandry of a large and diverse collection of species, focussing on animal welfare, exhibit design, record keeping and ensuring that exhibits are maintained to the highest standards.
The successful candidate will:
• Be able to demonstrate an in depth knowledge of modern Animal training techniques.
• Have extensive presenting experience with live Animal demonstrations.
• Have extensive practical experience of training both Birds and Mammals.
• Have strong attention to detail and the ability to clearly convey instruction.
• Be able to use Microsoft software including Outlook, Excel and Word.
• Have a qualification in a relevant field at university level and/or diploma in the DZMAA Keeper’s course or equivalent work experience.
• Be reliable and have good time-keeping and attendance record and able to demonstrate leadership and professionalism.
• Be a positive influence and work well in a team.
• Work with energy and enthusiasm.
• Be able to demonstrate an in depth knowledge of current husbandry practices.
The successful candidate will also be expected to:
• Observe the behaviour, health and security of animals and report any problems to the Team Leader.
• Assist with the preparation of approved diets and carrying out the correct feeding procedures.
• Adhere to Health and Safety policy.
• Train and mentor junior staff.
• Write scripts and consider show production.
Please note: Flexible working is required for this position which will include working alternate weekends and bank holidays.
Click HERE for Job Description
Applicants will need to upload their CV and covering letter (detailing relevant experience and skills, stating why they want the position and including details of availability) and can do this by clicking the "Apply for this jobonline" button. If you have any queries regarding this position or when applying through the system please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing Date for Applications: Midnight Sunday 8th July 2018
The Zoological Society of London is a charity registered in England and Wales: no. 208728.
Independent International Zoo Consultant