Experienced Animal Keeper - Large Carnivores
Howletts & Port Lympne Wild Animal Parks, in conjunction with the Aspinall Foundation, is a charity based organisation committed to protecting rare and endangered animals from extinction through captive breeding and reintroduction programmes. We have one of the leading collections of large carnivores in the UK including tigers, lions, snow leopards, cheetah, wolves, brown hyenas and African painted dogs (EEP holder for this species).
Port Lympne Wild Animal Park is seeking an experienced, hardworking and dedicated keeper to work with our small team of enthusiastic and like-minded keepers on our Large Carnivore Section. The Aspinall Foundation encourages its keepers to visit relevant in-situ projects and become actively involved in our on-going reintroduction programmes.
This is a very physical role and the successful applicant will be expected to undertake all duties on the section from prepping meat and cleaning to general maintenance and upkeep of enclosures including all aspects of exhibit presentation. Conservation, education and enrichment play a big role in the park so there will be plenty of opportunities for doing talks and displays to the public. The position will also include some reptile work.
• Significant experience (+ 4 years) at keeper level gained in a zoo park/equivalent environment
• An extensive track record working with large carnivores
• Good overall knowledge of Large carnivore species and captive breeding for individual species
• Good knowledge of current conservation issues concerning large carnivores and experience delivering this information to the visitors through talks etc
• Hands on approach to restraint and handling of animals
• A zoo animal management qualification or significant experience
• Ability to cover the section in the absence of the section manager or deputy
• Committed, passionate and hard working
• Full clean valid driving licence
• Reptile experience • Off road driving experience
• Firearm licence • Enclosure design and furbishing
• Butchery and livestock dispatch • Basic building skills
Working 40 hours over 5 days a week (includes weekends and bank holidays), the successful candidate will have a genuinely flexible approach to working hours. Single person accommodation may be available. All applicants must have right to work in the UK.
Closing date: Tuesday 27th May 2014, 12noon.
To apply, please email a CV along with a covering letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or post to: Human Resources, Port Lympne Wild Animal Park, Lympne, Hythe, Kent, CT21 4PD