VACANCY: AQUARIST - MATERNITY COVER, THE DEEP
The Aquarist is an integral part of the Husbandry team, reporting to the senior staff in this department.
This post is a fixed term contract to cover maternity leave and will terminate in November 2016. The salary is £17262 per annum.
The hours of work are 39 per week, working one in three weekends on a rota basis. Some out of hours and bank holiday work can also be expected due to the nature of the job. Other benefits include 25 days holiday per annum, plus bank holidays and pension scheme.
The main duties involved in the position will be participation in the routine feeding and maintenance of the displays and quarantine. This will involve working with other team members to maintain the displays, livestock and Life Support Systems.
• Maintenance of livestock and exhibits to an exemplary standard that fulfils zoo licensing and curatorial standards.
• Adherence to company policies with regards to record keeping, water testing, aquatic animal health monitoring and safe working practices.
• Actively contribute to research programmes undertaken by the Husbandry Department.
• To assist in the positive promotion of the image of The Deep at all times.
• Ensure that the company’s policy on Health and Safety is adhered to during your work activities.
• Comply with the staffing rota as set out by Senior Staff.
• Aid the Husbandry department to achieve the target of maintaining the fabric of The Deep to a standard acceptable to the Chief Executive.
• Co-operate fully with the entire staff of The Deep with the aim of making The Deep a truly world class Visitor Attraction.
• Aid the senior Husbandry staff in developing any new exhibition areas/revised displays.
• Participate in staff training and assessment.
• The successful applicant shall also be required to undertake any general duties as determined by their line manager.
• A reasonable amount of physical work will be involved in carrying out your duties.
• You are expected to participate in all training provided by The Deep.
• Due to the nature of the business the successful applicant will be required to work some weekends and evenings.
• Knowledge of terrestrial invertebrate species and their husbandry.
• A commitment to The Deep, and its environmental and ethical policies
• Enthusiasm and commitment to working in animal care.
• Excellent team-working skills and good verbal communication skills.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Reliability (good time-keeping and attendance)
• Qualification in biology, marine biology, zoology and/or general science at college or university level.
• Good knowledge of principles of zoology, aquatic biology and a keen interest in environmental matters.
• A willingness to learn and a commitment to self-improvement.
• Demonstrable commitment to animal conservation either through voluntary work placements, projects or fundraising events.
• Good practical ability with items such as pumps and filters.
• A keen interest in marine matters.
• Knowledge of amphibian and reptile species and their husbandry.
• A dive qualification.
Download and complete application form from www.thedeep.co.uk or collect a paper application form from The Deep visitor attraction reception or retail desk between 10am and 5pm each day. For queries please contact: Louise Kirby at firstname.lastname@example.org, 01482 381004. Deadline for receipt of completed application 9am, Monday 16 November 2015. Interviews are likely to be held week commencing 23 November 2015.
Please don't forget to mention you saw this advert in