Living Rainforest Internship
The Living Rainforest is inviting applications for an unpaid voluntary work placement with the Animal Department. Our internship programme has been running successfully for over three years and we are now offering the vacancy to external candidates.
The Trust for Sustainable Living is a registered charity based near Newbury, Berkshire. At our visitor centre, The Living Rainforest, the animal collection is contained within two tropical glasshouses and consists of more than 60 species. These include callitrichids, toucans and turacos, snakes, chelonia, stingrays, dendrobatids, and invertebrates.
Role and Responsibilities:
· The primary role of the intern will be to participate in the daily husbandry and daily routines of the animal department. This includes feeding animals, maintaining enclosures, daily record keeping and animal health checks.
· As an intern, you will also help with the daily supervision of existing volunteers and participate in the training of new volunteers and work experience students.
· You will also receive training and be expected to participate in keeper talks, workshops and keeper experience days which run through holidays and at weekends.
· You will have the opportunity to gain knowledge of the different aspects of the department such as veterinary treatment, enclosure design and record keeping.
· You may also be invited to attend both internal and external meetings. This may include ethics committees, BIAZA taxon working groups and staff meetings.
· Where suitable, there may also be opportunities for research projects to be undertaken.
Terms of placement:
· This is a six month voluntary work placement for a registered charity, to begin as soon as possible.
· It is preferred that interns are able to work from 9am to 5.30pm five days a week on a rota basis. This will include some weekends and bank holidays as necessary.
· Preference will be given to applicants with an Animal related qualification or working towards an Animal related qualification, who want to partake in this voluntary work placement in order to seek further industry experience.
· Some experience within the zoo industry or with exotics would be desirable but not essential.
· Applicants should be enthusiastic, hard-working and have a willingness to learn new skills.
· It is recommended that you have your own form of transport to get to and from The Living Rainforest each day as public transport is infrequent in this area.
· Please note that there is no accommodation available with this position, but some assistance can be given towards moderate travel expenses.
The vacancy will remain open until the position is filled. Interviews will be held as soon as possible after applications are received, on a first come first served basis. To apply for this position please send your CV and cover letter, including a contact telephone number, and interview availability to Ela Suliga, Human Resources:
Post: The Living Rainforest
Please don't forget to mention you saw this advert in