Assistant Bird Curator, Al Bustan Zoological Centre
Deadline for applications: 10 February 2016
Al Bustan Zoological Centre (ABZC) is a privately owned zoo in the Sharjah emirates in the United Arab Emirates with an existing collection of birds that include amongst other a large collection of parrot and pheasant species.
The Assistant to the Bird Curator is responsible for supporting the Curator of birds in all aspects of management of the Bird Department, including:
• Supervision of Bird Keepers’ daily routine and food preparation.
• Management of reproductive activity, including bird socializations, artificial incubation and hand-rearing.
• Supervision of the daily distribution of birds’ medications and routine disease monitoring, as well as assistance in veterinary treatments.
• Record-keeping, data collection and data encoding.
• Preparation of guidelines, protocols and working schedules for Bird Department personnel.
• Administration and record-keeping of Bird Department human resources.
• Management of food stocks and in-house insect production.
Applicants for the position must fulfill the following requirements:
• At least 3 years experience in captive bird husbandry
• A degree in zoology, ornithology or another related field is preferred. DMZAA will be the minimum qualification and if your qualification is not specialized in captive bird management, you will be expected to enroll in this course.
• Extensive knowledge of bird husbandry, nutrition, disease, ecology and behavior.
• Expertise in artificial incubation and hand-rearing techniques.
• Experience with record-keeping and data collection.
• Basic computer skills (Word, Excel and internet as a minimum, knowledge of ISIS and ZIMS would be an advantage).
• High level capability in oral and written English.
• Flexibility in working hours and an ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
• Initial contract is for 2 years; starting with a probationary period of 3 months.
• Work schedule is based on 6 days / 48 hours per week.
• Working hours depending on the season.
• 1 month paid holiday per year excluding official holidays in UAE.
• One paid return economy ticket to “home-airport” per year; Ticket at beginning and end of employment are also included.
• Salary depends on experience and highest degree obtained.
• Accommodation is included at ABZC
Please submit a motivation letter, 3 references with contact details and CV to:
firstname.lastname@example.org all applications will be handled as confidential and if you don’t receive feedback after 30 days, your application was unsuccessful.
Please mention ZooNews Digest should you apply for this post