Bear and Vet Team Director
Animals Asia is seeking a dynamic individual to take on the role of Bear and Vet Team Director for our bear rescue centre in Tam Dao, Vietnam (VBRC). The successful applicant will oversee and manage the bear and veterinary team of over 50 staff members who are providing care to the nearly 150 bears at our centre who are rescued from the bear bile industry. The Bear & Vet Team Director works closely with the bear management team, oversees training programmes and ensures protocols and procedures are functional and strictly adhered to.
The Bear & Vet Team Director oversees the nutritional care of the bears with input from the Bear Managers and vets. He/She coordinates bear & vet team staff and equipment for all bear rescues in conjunction with the Vietnam Country Director.
The Bear & Vet Team Director oversees the human resources for the bear team, working closely with the Bear Team Supervisor. The Senior Veterinary Surgeon and the Bear Managers report directly into the Bear & Vet Team Director too. He/She is ultimately responsible for the department including budgeting, liaison with the wider management team and point of contact for the fundraising, PR and communication teams. When required, the Bear & Vet Team Director contributes to strategic planning discussions to end bear bile farming in Vietnam together with the Vietnam Country Director and Founder & CEO.
The Bear & Vet Team Director together with the Vietnam Country Director ensure the smooth running of VBRC making sure all staff adhere to established Health & Safety policies and procedures, oversee any onsite emergencies and develop and maintain effective working relationships in regards to work procedures, employee relations and procurement related concerns. Centre construction, including the building of all bear areas requires close liaising with the construction department. The Bear & Vet Team Director will report to the Vietnam Country Director.
Please contact email@example.com for further details and a full job description.
• Formal qualifications in zoology, biology, conservation, animal behaviour or related field
• At least 5 years work experience in a zoo, rescue centre, rehab centre or similar working environment
• Experience in a senior management position
• Strong people management skills to motivate, build capacity and inspire staff
• Experience in preparing and overseeing budgets
• Ability to appreciate bigger picture view of the organisation
• Cultural sensitivity and overseas working background is a must, working experience in Asia is an advantage
• Strong communication skills
• Ability to live and work closely with the rest of the team comprising both western and local staff
• A background in charitable work is beneficial
• Suitable candidates must be able to commit for a minimum of 2 years
Appointment is paid, full-time, five (5) days a week with some weekend work applicable.
The following items are included in your full-time contract
Basic on-site accommodation
Emergency medical insurance
How to apply
Interested parties please forward your cover letter (stating the applied position), CV (with your expected salary) and completed Job Application form to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
For more information please visit our website www.animalsasia.org
We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Personal data collected will be treated in strict confidence and used solely for recruitment purposes.
Closing date: February 26, 2016
Please mention ZooNews Digest should you apply for this post