Animal Keeper Internship
Alameda Wildlife Conservation Park
The Alameda Wildlife Conservation Park is a small collection of exotic animals set in Gibraltar Botanic Gardens. We currently have two vacancies for voluntary internships for a period of 3-6 months (including a one month probationary period). Interns will have the opportunity to work with all the animals in our collection.
Role and Responsibilities:
• The primary role of the interns will be to participate in the daily husbandry and daily routines of the animal department. This includes feeding animals, maintaining enclosures, daily record keeping and animal health checks.
• As an intern, you will also help with the daily supervision of existing volunteers and participate in the training of new volunteers and work experience students.
• You will also receive training and be expected to participate in keeper talks and park events.
• You will have the opportunity to gain knowledge of the different aspects of the Wildlife Park such as veterinary treatment, enrichment and record keeping.
• Where suitable, there may also be opportunities for research projects to be undertaken.
Terms of placement:
• Interns will be required to work from 9am to 5pm five days a week on a rota basis. This will include some weekends and bank holidays as necessary.
• Preference will be given to applicants with an Animal related qualification or working towards an Animal related qualification
• Some experience within the zoo industry or with exotics would be desirable but not essential.
• Applicants should be enthusiastic, hard-working and have a willingness to learn new skills.
All internships are purely voluntary and as such it is with regret that The Wildlife Park cannot provide any financial support or expenses to those wishing to apply for these positions. Applicants will be responsible for funding all flights and accommodation during their stay.
Interviews will be held as soon as possible afterwards, (These interviews be conducted via Skype or similar media).
To apply for the above position please send a CV and covering letter to Ms Jessica Leaper.
Closing date for applications: 15th January 2017
Or send to the AWCP, Botanic Gardens, Red Sands Road, P O Box 843, Gibraltar.
Independent International Zoo Consultant