Job Title: Mammal Keeper (2 Positions Available)
Department: Mammal Department
Reporting to: Head of Mammal Department
Full time / Part-time: Full Time (42.5 Hours per week, weekends may be included)
Permanent / Contract: Permanent
We are seeking two highly motivated individuals to promote the Trust's work in the captive breeding of endangered species by working on the daily management of the animal collection and to ultimately play a crucial role in fulfilling Durrell’s mission of saving species from extinction.
- The role will include the daily husbandry (maintaining high standards of cleanliness in animal enclosures, public viewing areas and “off view” facilities as well as the preparation and distribution of food to the animals following prescribed diets) of a diverse collection of mammals in conjunction with the other section staff;
- To deliver regular public engagement activities, including keeper talks as required, about the animals on site to provide accurate, current and in-depth information relating to the breadth of conservation work of the Trust;
- Detailed record keeping;
- Training of visiting students;
- Behind the scenes tours and participation in wider mammal and zoo activities as required.
(For a full job description explaining the role and duties in detail please visit www.durrell.org/jobs)
- It is desired that applicants have a BSc (Hons) Zoology or related qualification and proven experience in the successful husbandry of a variety of mammal species (in other zoos, museums, universities, private collections, etc.);
- Wide knowledge of biology, ecology and captive requirements of animal species for which post is responsible;
- A logical, precise and consistent approach to animal keeping is required as is competency with standard computer software;
- Good written and verbal communication skills and considerable interpersonal skills are essential as the position involves interaction not just with colleagues but also students, visitors and on occasion the media;
- The successful applicant will be a strong team player able to maintain a high work rate, high levels of cleanliness and an organised work environment.
How to apply
To apply for this position please send your completed application form and CV with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, clearly indicating for which position you wish to apply for.
Closing date for applications: Wednesday, 23 November 2016.
Independent International Zoo Consultant