Deputy Head of Section
Colchester Zoo are looking to recruit an experienced Deputy Head to assist the Head of the Zoo’s busiest and most demanding section and supervise in their absence. The position requires assisting in leading a large team of staff and the day to day management of a diverse collection of animals, ensuring the highest standards of animal husbandry, welfare, and health and safety at all times. Species include Rainbow Lorikeets, Rainbow fish and Koi Carp, Aldabra, Sulcata and Spur-thighed tortoises, Wallabies, Darwin’s Rhea, Corn snakes and Royal Pythons, Pygmy Hedgehogs and a range of domestic species in a high visitor concentrated section comprising of three of the Zoo’s walkthrough enclosures and animal handling and feeding areas.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
• Ensure the highest standards of animal husbandry and welfare at all times including assisting in the implementation of training and enrichment programmes, monitoring health, researching nutritional needs, managing successful breeding and ensuring excellent enclosure presentation.
• Supervise staff in the absence of the Head of Section which will include managing rotas and holidays, training new and existing staff to the required standards, organising working protocols and procedures and providing feedback on performance.
• Assist in the management and implementation of all aspects of Health and Safety including working protocols, risk assessments and manual handling.
• Manage animal records, produce reports and put forward proposals.
• Ensure the highest of standards of visitor experience through exceptional customer services and care.
We are looking for an individual who is highly motivated and hard working, with a minimum of 7 years’ experience in a Zoo environment. Excellent customer service, communication and animal husbandry skills are essential as is previous experience supervising staff and an excellent understanding of health and safety in a Zoological setting. Experience with at least some of the species listed above would be beneficial.
Applicants must have the Diploma in the Management of Zoo animals and Aquaria (DMZAA) or an equivalent qualification and a full valid driving licence is essential.
This is a permanent fulltime position with a start date as soon as is possible and Salary is dependent on qualifications and experience.
Please send your CV and covering letter to Sarah Forsyth, Curator, Colchester Zoo, Maldon Road, Stanway, Colchester, Essex CO3 0SL
The closing date for applications for this position is Friday 23rd December 2016.
Independent International Zoo Consultant