Job Title Zoo: General Curator
Location: Rabat, Morocco
Period: 2 years with possible extension
Proposed start date: As soon as possible
Application deadline: Open until filled
1- BACKGROUND INFORMATION:
Rabat Zoo is seeking an experienced, energetic, motivated and hardworking General Curator to lead a team of dedicated keepers and manage the animal collection.
Rabat Zoo opened in 2012 after 5 years of renovation. It is now a major destination providing a diversity of wildlife recreation and leisure activities for the whole family. It is designed as 5 African bio-zones composed of various habitats, displaying over 180 species and some 2000 individuals
Rabat Zoo has a mission of Wildlife Recreation, Education, Research and the Conservation of endangered species.
2- OVERALL JOB PURPOSE:
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer and the General manager, the General Curator has responsibility for the husbandry, management and display of the animal collection while leading the animal keeper team (30). The position will be a senior member of the leadership team of Rabat Zoo. The key objectives of the position is to drive innovation and excellence in
animal care and develop a sustainable animal collection that supports the Zoo’s strategic goals.
3- POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES:
▪ Contributes and leads the safety of animals, staff and visitors.
▪ Prepares and follows up the membership of the zoo to PAZAA, EAZA, WAZA and other zoological institutions.
▪ Provides leadership to the keeping staff in the daily management of the
▪ Develops and reviews all animal care Standard Operating Procedures
including those related to safety.
▪ Works collaboratively with the Animal Health staff on treatment plans and preventive health programs.
▪ Leads, develops and implements the animal care program evaluation and
general animal wellbeing.
▪ Develops and implements all emergency proceedures required.
▪ Oversees the provision of content for the interpretation of new and existing animal exhibits for short and long term needs.
▪ Prepares and has responsibility for the annual budget for the department to be submitted and approved by the administration.
▪ Represents the department on the Zoo’s senior leadership team. Participates in the Duty Officer rotation, including some weekend duty
▪ Participates in, supports and ensures support of key initiatives from other departments including public relations, marketing efforts and guest
▪ Develops improved animal management husbandry protocols including the development and implementation of enrichment and feeding calendars.
▪ Provides staff training on animal management and husbandry to improve
captive animal welfare.
▪ Ensures agreed changes are understood by the staff and can be implemented beyond the scope or the program.
▪ Advises on how modifications to existing buildings/enclosures can be made to improve animal welfare.
▪ Support the Zoo’s senior management and stakeholders in the development of a Master Plan for Rabat Zoo.
4- EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILL SET:
▪ Bachelor Degree in biology, veterinary or a related field.
▪ Minimum three years of experience in an EAZA-accredited zoological park or equivalent.
▪ Experience overseeing curatorial or other animal supervisory staff preferred.
▪ Advanced working knowledge of animal welfare, husbandry, handling,
population management and exhibit design.
5- COSTS :
▪ Accommodation provided at the zoo.
▪ Languages : French / English (writing and verbal skills).
▪ Net salary : Based on experience
6. To Apply : Applicants should send their full updated CV and covering letter to : email@example.com and cc firstname.lastname@example.org
Independent International Zoo Consultant