Work experience placements
Alameda Wildlife Conservation Park
The Alameda Wildlife Conservation Park is a small collection of exotic animals set in Gibraltar Botanic Gardens.
We currently have vacancies for voluntary work experience placements for a period of 6-12 months (including a one month probationary period) beginning in April/May 2018. Successful candidates will have the opportunity to work with most of the animals in our collection and to gain a wide range of skills.
Objectives of the placement:
- To participate in the daily husbandry and daily routines of the animal department. This includes feeding animals, maintaining enclosures, daily record keeping and animal health checks.
- Assist keepers with the daily supervision of existing volunteers and participate in the training of new volunteers and work experience students.
- You will also receive training to participate in keeper talks and park events.
- You will have the opportunity to gain knowledge of the different aspects of the Wildlife Park such as veterinary treatment, enrichment and record keeping.
- Where suitable, there may also be opportunities for research projects to be undertaken.
- Preference will be given to applicants with an animal related qualification or working towards an animal related qualification
- Some experience within the zoo industry or with exotics would be desirable but not essential.
- Applicants should be enthusiastic, hard-working and have a willingness to learn new skills.
- Be physically fit for the demands of the post.
- All placements are entirely voluntary and as such it is with regret that the Wildlife Park cannot provide any financial support or expenses to those wishing to apply for these positions.
Applicants will be responsible for funding all flights and accommodation during their stay.
Completed applications will be received until 1st March 2018. Interviews will be held as soon as possible afterwards, (These interviews to be conducted via Skype or similar media). To apply for this position please send your CV and cover letter to Jessica Leaper.
Or send to the AWCP, Botanic Gardens, Red Sands Road, P O Box 843, Gibraltar.
Independent International Zoo Consultant