Centre Manager, Lakeland Wildlife Oasis
Full-time, permanent position.
Lakeland Wildlife Oasis is a small zoo based in rural Cumbria with a strong focus on education and conservation. It is a BIAZA member and is actively involved in a number of endangered species breeding programmes. It houses a wide diversity of species as well as having an onsite café and gift shop.
This role will involve overall responsibility for the day to day running of the institution, managing a small team of dedicated keepers, café staff and volunteers. The applicant will ensure that welfare standards are met for all species, as well as striving to fulfil the aims of The Lakeland Trust for Natural Sciences. We are looking for an experienced, enthusiastic and motivated individual who will be a good team leader, able to show initiative and have a positive outlook. The successful applicant will have a hands on animal husbandry role as well as administrative responsibilities including risk assessments, rota preparation and marketing. Experience working in a similar senior zoo management role would be beneficial. Suitable applicants must be well organised and have at least two years previous experience in a zoo setting, working with a range of taxa. The job entails a 40 hour 5-day working week including weekend rotas.
• An animal science related qualification (DMZAA or degree level)
• Knowledge of current zoo licensing regulations
• Knowledge and experience with risk assessments
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Computer literacy (ZIMS experience desirable)
• Experience of managing a team including volunteers
• Ability to organise and prioritise tasks in a dynamic environment
• Physically fit for the demands of the role
• Full UK driving licence
If you would like the opportunity to join our team please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com by Sunday 8th April 2018.
Independent International Zoo Consultant