Qualified Animal Keeper, Elephants (Full-Time / Permanent)
The Zoological Society of London (ZSL), a charity founded in 1826, is a world-renowned centre of excellence for conservation science and applied conservation. ZSL’s mission is to promote and achieve the worldwide conservation of animals and their habitats. This is realised by carrying out field conservation and research in over 50 countries across the globe and through education and awareness-raising at our two zoos, ZSL London Zoo and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, inspiring people to take conservation action.
An exciting opening has arisen for a Qualified Animal Keeper on our Elephant Section at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo. Ideally this person will have experience of working directly with Elephants or experience with large ungulates and hoofstock. Some experience of working with hoof stock in a zoological setting. This position will also assist the Team Leader, Deputy Team Leader and other Senior Keepers in all aspects of their work but primarily the care of the animals, ensuring high standards of animal welfare, animal husbandry and keep daily checks and records of animals within the section.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Observing the behaviour, health and security of animals and reporting any problems to the team leader or senior staff.
- Ensuring that conditions for animals are suitable and reporting any problems, including defects or repairs required to enclosures, to the senior staff on section and relevant departments required.
- Assisting with the preparation of approved diets and carrying out the correct feeding procedures.
- Cleaning and maintaining exhibits and other designated areas.
- Ensuring that safety and emergency procedures are followed at all times.
- Assisting with the movement and training of animals using positive re-enforcement.
- Supporting in the training and mentoring of less experienced staff.
- Maintaining courteous and helpful relations with visitors and media.
- Supporting broader ZSL lead events such as late evenings and specialist functions.
To learn more and apply please click HERE
Independent International Zoo Consultant