VOLUNTARY ZOO KEEPER INTERNSHIP
Start Date: Spring 2018
Length of Internship: 6 month or 12 month available
Application Closing Date: 25th March 2018
Working Hours: Five days a week including regular weekends.
Salary & Benefits: This is a voluntary positon. Staff discount card & uniform will be provided.
We are offering an exciting opportunity for two individuals to join us as interns on the Ventura Wildlife Park keeping team on either a 6 month or 12 month basis.
An internship with us will provide you with experience working with a variety of exotic animals in a zoological setting. Successful interns must be responsible, dedicated, practical, confident, engaging and willing to learn new skills that will form the basis of a future zoo keeping career.
The role involves daily animal husbandry and welfare of a diverse collection of animals that includes; Grant’s zebra, reindeer, red kangaroo, emu, raccoon dogs, fossa, lemurs, Cuban hutia, red-rumped agouti, various wader birds as well as a large collection of reptiles and amphibians.
Interns will also be provided with the opportunity to take part in animal encounters and educational visits both on and offsite.
Expected Duties Include:
• Assisting with daily animal husbandry e.g. food prep, feeding, cleaning, health checks, enrichment, training, etc.
• Observation of animals and recording of relevant information.
• Visitor interaction and delivery of keeper talks, animal shows, experiences and tours in a polite and professional manner.
• Overseeing work experience and volunteers under the direction of the keepers.
• General site and enclosure maintenance.
• Training in basic research methods (interns are able to carry out specific research projects at the park during the time of their placement).
• Strict adherence to safe working practices.
• A qualification in animal science.
• Previous animal-related work experience.
• Good communication skills.
• Adaptable to a flexible weekly rota.
• Able to work in a team and independently.
• Physically fit for the demands of this role.
• 18 years +
How to apply:
Please send your CV and cover letter along with the length of internship you require by e-mail to: email@example.com
Please note that we will only be able to respond to those who are chosen for interview.
Independent International Zoo Consultant