PART TIME ANIMAL KEEPER VACANCY
Position: Part Time Animal Keeper
(Minimum of three days a week required- option to take on additional work).
Start Date: Immediate start required - March 2018
Application Closing Date: - Friday 16th March 2018
Salary & Staff Benefits: Salary based on age. Staff benefits include a staff discount card scheme.
We are looking for a responsible and dedicated individual to join our animal team on a part time basis. The role involves daily care for a diverse collection split between two sites; Ventura Wildlife Park in Ware, Hertfordshire & Ventura Wildlife Encounters in Enfield, Middlesex (approximately 20 minutes apart). The collection includes; Cuban hutia, red-rumped agouti, zorilla, meerkat, coati, fossa, raccoon dog, lemur, tamarin, zebra, reindeer, kangaroo, lorikeets and wader birds, as well a large collection of reptiles including various snakes, lizards and tortoises.
In addition to daily animal keeping tasks this position also includes taking part in animal encounters and educational visits both on and offsite.
The successful individual will need to have a varied animal knowledge whilst being engaging, confident, approachable and keen to learn new skills whilst focusing on animal welfare, record keeping and visitor engagement.
The Role Involves:
· Day to day husbandry of all animals.
· Diet preparation.
· Animal observation and record keeping.
· Public talks and shows.
· Stock taking and ordering.
· Animal enrichment and training.
· Assisting with veterinary care when needed.
· Assisting with general site maintenance including emptying bins, sweeping, weeding and cleaning.
· Strict adherence to safe working practices and high standards.
· Working effectively both as an individual and as part of a small team.
We are looking for someone who has:
· Experience of working with a range of exotic animals (must include reptile experience) in a zoo type environment.
· High levels of flexibility in order to respond to daily challenges across a wide range of areas.
· Good written and communication skills.
· Excellent time-keeping and time management.
· Computer literacy.
· Knowledge of ZIMS preferable.
· Full clean UK or EU driving licence essential with a minimum of 6 months active driving experience. Own car preferable.
Qualifications & Experience:
Education, training and experience that clearly demonstrates the knowledge and skills required.
· Largely outdoor work in all weather conditions.
· Occasional early and late working will be required to accommodate deadlines or special events.
· Flexible working days and hours which include working weekends, bank holidays and school holidays.
· Work will be across two sites based in Ware, Hertfordshire and Enfield, Middlesex.
How to apply:
If you would like to join our team please send your CV and a covering letter by email to email@example.com detailing the position you have applied for, your suitability and when you could start if offered the position.
Independent International Zoo Consultant