Senior Animal Keeper - Primates
(Full-Time / 1 Year Fixed-Term Contract)
ZSL - London Zoo
Salary: £30,875 p.a. (Inclusive of London Weighting and Weekend Enhancement)
We’re ZSL, an international conservation charity. Our vision is a world where wildlife thrives and we’re working every day to achieve this. From investigating the health threats facing animals, to helping people and wildlife live alongside each other, we are committed to bringing wildlife back from the brink of extinction. Through the work of our pioneering scientists, our dedicated conservationists and our unrivalled animal experts in our two zoos, our purpose is to inspire, inform and empower people to stop wild animals going extinct.
ZSL is seeking a Senior Keeper to work on the Primate section at London Zoo. The role will involve full aspect husbandry of Gorillas, Gibbons and Monkeys. The successful candidate will be expected to deliver high standards of husbandry, safety, observations, communication and record keeping. Previous Gorilla keeping experience will be a distinct advantage. Experience of dealing with the public is essential, together with the ability to work effectively within a team. Working hours are 37.5 per week, worked within a roster which includes regular weekends so flexibility regarding hours is crucial.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Work in a responsible, safe and efficient manor around high security animals
- Observe the behaviour, health and security of animals and report any problems to the Team Leader or manager including defects or repairs required to enclosures and relevant departments required to support work needed
- Assist & develop training and enrichment programs on a regular basis
- Cleaning and maintaining of exhibits and other designated areas
- Assist with the preparation of approved diets and carrying out the correct feeding procedures
- Communicate efficiently with public to increase public satisfaction and support the ZSL mission
The successful candidate will have:
- Proven practical experience of animal management with a range of zoo animals
- Proven experience working with Primates and preferably Gorillas
- Passion to work on evolving husbandry management within zoological collections to include positive re-enforcement training for behavioural management and varied methods of enrichment for a range of species.
- Knowledge of techniques used to handle specific animals should veterinary procedures be required.
- Be able to demonstrate initiative and a pro-active approach to completing tasks beneficial to the section/department without always waiting to be asked.
- Have a qualification in a relevant field at university level and/or diploma in the DZMAA Keeper’s course or equivalent work experience.
- Be reliable, have good time-keeping and attendance record and able to demonstrate leadership and professionalism.
Please note: We are looking for candidates to start as soon as possible. Flexible working is required for this position which will include working alternate weekends and bank holidays. Daily finish times might change with short notice.
Applicants will need to upload their CV and covering letter (detailing relevant experience and skills, stating why they want the position and including details of availability) and can do this by clicking the "Apply for this job online" button. If you have any queries regarding this position or when applying through the system please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.
Closing date for applications: Midnight (23:59) Sunday 29th March 2020.
The Zoological Society of London is a charity registered in England and Wales: no. 208728.