Club Westside Animal Manager
Club Westside, Houston’s family sports fitness club, is seeking a creative, energetic, and experienced zoological professional to lead its animal department. Qualified applicants will recognize the extraordinary resources and benefits that come with a strong organizational commitment to animal welfare and informal conservation education. The ideal candidate is a hands-on leader with the ability to motivate and develop staff and to collaborate with other department heads to provide superb animal care and impactful experiences for Club members and guests.
The Animal Manager:
· Reports directly to Club Leadership including Directors
· Oversees a dedicated full-time staff of ten with support from additional Club personnel
· Is responsible for the health and behavioral welfare of a diverse animal collection
· With staff, maintains all animal facilities
· Develops and manages enrichment devices and Enrichment Calendars for animal collection
· Oversees record-keeping processes
· Ensures that the Club meets or exceeds all relevant regulatory standards
· Liaises with consultants and veterinarians to ensure highest standards of animal welfare
· Works a flexible schedule including nights, holidays, and weekends
· Ensures safe practices (for staff, animals, members and guests)
· Interacts with other departments to support The Club’s objectives
The Animal Manager participates in and is responsible for all aspects of animal welfare including husbandry training and overall behavior management, plus enrichment programs. To facilitate great care, the AM is focused on all aspects of staff development, e.g., coaching, performance evaluation and feedback, and scheduling.
Another important role for the Animal Manager is member engagement and messaging. This includes formal and informal presentations, camp programs, and signage.
· At least five years animal-handling experience with a variety of taxa including large hoofstock, primates, flamingos, and psittacines.
· At least three years leadership (Lead, Supervisor or above) experience
· Behavior management experience including positive-reinforcement training and enrichment
· Experience leading and creating immersive, educational animal experiences
· Demonstrated guest-focus
· Excellent communication skills, both interpersonal and presentational
· Basic computer skills, e.g., email, Internet, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Animal Care Software (preferred)
· Impeccable safety focus and safety leadership
· Serious-minded, with a good sense of humor
We offer exceptional animal-care resources, plus excellent benefits and a competitive salary along with the opportunity to grow in a fun and dynamic work environment in Texas’ largest city. Interested applicants should send their CV with a cover letter by May 21 to Linda@ClubWestside.com
PLEASE CONSIDER A DONATION FOR POSTING OUT YOUR VACANCY
Just click on the donate button at the top left of this page
ZooNews Digest/Zoo Jobs has operated as a free service to the zoo and aquarium community for over thirty years. It reaches the more people in the Zoo/Aquarium/Wildlife sphere than others.
In its present Blog format it has posted over 4,103+ vacancies which received 67,578,27+ visits.
Your vacancy posted out on the Zoo Jobs Blog goes to 129,400+ Followers on the ZooNews Digest Facebook page, 8,700+ Zoo/Aquarium interest connections on Linkedin as well as others on Twitter and Pinterest.
I know I reach the right people.