The Life Support Systems Technician is responsible for all daily operations
and maintenance of life support components and systems. Life Support Systems
equipment supports all Living Collections areas, including a 188,000 gallon
Kelp Forest tank and several smaller marine and freshwater exhibits.
*Major Job Responsibilities: *
- Responsible for performing inspections of all life support equipment
for preventative maintenance, routine upkeep and repair of all faulty life
support system components.
- Contributes to the design of life support systems for temporary tanks
or future additions as needed.
- Assists with water chemistry reports and make recommendations for
change as necessary.
- Maintains Life Support Systems logs and records.
- Recognizes and follows all safety policies and procedures.
- Assists in ensuring the health and safety of the animal, employees and
- BA/BS degree in Biology, System Engineer or related field
- 3 years experience in similar role at an AZA-accredited institution
- Experience operating, designing, and building life support systems for
marine and freshwater systems.
- Must have experience in water quality testing and maintaining
- Experience with centrifugal pump equipment fractional to 60HP, sand
filters, foam fractionators, UV
sterilizers, ozone systems, and heat exchangers is desirable.
- Experience operating computer programming for automated controls
(Allen/Bradley controls strongly preferred).
- Ability to work in an industrial work environment, with low headroom
and difficult access.
- Ability to work well independently and in a team environment, good
communicator with strong technical writing skills.
- Knowledge of OSHA and Cal OSHA standards in an aquarium environment
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that includes weekends, holidays
and some evenings.
- Ability to respond to 24-hour paging system as well as to work on-call
periods in response to system trouble alarms, break-downs, or repairs.
*Salary:* $18.75 to $21.00 per hour plus excellent benefits and 14 holidays
Send Cover Letter, Resume and Salary History (A Must) to the HR Dept. via
fax at 213-744-2673, email to HR@cscmail.org, or mail to the California
Science Center Foundation, H. R. Dept, 700 State Dr., Los Angeles, CA 90037.
No phone calls please. EOE.