Rec* Nutritionist *
The Nutritionist is responsible for ensuring the dietary health of all
Living Collections animals as well as maintaining cleanliness and stock of
the various components, including food, in the food preparation kitchen. The
Nutritionist creates and implements food preparation guidelines and
procedures, provides necessary supplements, and designs nutritional
parameters to ensure proper dietary regimes for the Living Collections
*Major Job Responsibilities: *
- Prepares all diets for Living Collections aquatic and terrestrial
animals ensuring high quality food with proper nutritional content.
- Assists the Veterinarian and other Living Collections staff with animal
- Maintains inventory and develops purchasing lists of kitchen items and
additional food as needed.
- Maintains cleanliness and sanitation of all food preparation surfaces
- Ensures high quality control on food stock, including maintaining
complete and accurate food storage temperature logs.
- Records/compiles all necessary health information and communicates to
Veterinary in a timely fashion.
- Participates in the daily feeding routines of the Living Collections
- Assists Living Collections staff in the daily care of the animals.
- Ensures compliance with all regulatory agencies including USDA, FDA,
and AZA with regard to food preparation.
- Trains and supervises Living Collections volunteers assigned to the
food preparation kitchen on proper food preparation and feeding methods.
- Perform other duties as needed.
- BA/BS in Biological Science preferred. Study of animal nutrition a
- 4+ years experience working in animal care, preferably at an
- Veterinary techinician certificate or experience working as a
veterinary technician strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of methods of analysis of nutritional content of various food
- Demonstrated knowledge of USDA, FDA, and AZA standards and policies
with regard to food preparation for captive collections.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs. Zootrition® program
experience a plus.
- Trained in basic first aid as well as food handling.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds and to operate lift/pallet equipment.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that includes weekends, holidays,
and some evenings.
*Salary:* $16.50-19.50 per hour plus excellent benefits and 14 holidays per
Send Cover Letter, Resume and Salary History (A Must) to the HR Dept. via
fax at 213-744-2673, email to HR@cscmail.org or mail to the California
Science Center Foundation, H. R. Dept, 700 State Dr., Los Angeles, CA 90037.
No phone calls please. EOE.