Water Laboratory Manager - California Science Center Foundation
Reports To: Life Support Systems Manager
The Water Laboratory Manager is responsible for ensuring the quality of the
water chemistry of a closed system of marine and freshwater exhibit tanks
within the Living Collections department, including a 188,000 gallon kelp
forest exhibit. Working under the Life Support Systems Manager and closely
with the Director of Aquatics, the Water Laboratory Manager will create and
implement policies and procedures for maintaining the quality of the exhibit
and holding systems water. The Water Laboratory Manager will collect,
analyze, interpret and record water samples while making appropriate changes
to procedures as necessary.
- BS/BA in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or related field.
- 5+ years in similar position at an AZA-accredited aquarium or
comparable institution preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of water chemistry with a strong emphasis on closed
marine and freshwater systems.
- Detailed knowledge of the methods and procedures necessary for the
proper sampling and analysis of water.
- Previous experience operating/managing a water chemistry/quality
- Excellent laboratory skills including ability to write procedure
- Strong technical writing skills and effective oral communication are
- Computer literacy in essential programs to analyze, interpret, record
and report results to appropriate facility personnel.
- Proven ability to supervise and manage a diverse and technical staff
- Knowledge of OSHA and Cal OSHA standards in an aquarium and laboratory
- Experience creating and managing budgets preferred.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
Major Job Responsibilities
- Develop and implement full water quality testing, analysis, recording
and reporting procedures for closed marine and freshwater aquatic systems.
- Closely monitor water quality within the facility using proven
- Perform microbiological examination of exhibit and holding tank water
including testing for coliform and total bacteria.
- Implement and monitor safety standards and procedures for the Water
- Manage and direct a diverse staff of employees and volunteers.
- Contribute to the mission of the California Science Center Foundation
by stimulating curiosity and inspiring science learning by creating fun and
memorable experiences for the guests.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
*Salary:* $3,333.00 - $3750.00 per month with excellent benefits and 14
holidays per year
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter & resume to:
California Science Center Foundation, HR Dept., 700 State Drive, Los
Angeles, CA 90037. E-mail to HR@cscmail.org or FAX resumes to (213)