Animal Keeper Internships
The Alameda Wildlife Conservation Park is a small collection of exotic animals set in Gibraltar Botanic Gardens. We are currently Undergoing large scale renovation to dramatically improve the exhibits and remodel the park.
We currently have two vacancies for voluntary internships for a period of 6-12 months (including a one month probationary period) working with our animal keeping department. The Wildlife Park is open every day and the placements will be full time i.e. a five day working week including some weekends. The main role of the keeping interns will be to attend the husbandry requirements of the animal collection as directed by the Head Keeper in charge.
All internships are purely voluntary and as such it is with regret that The Wildlife Park cannot provide any financial support or expenses to those wishing to apply for these positions. To ensure that interns are provided with valuable experience; a training agreement will be completed and reviewed regularly and a training record will be provided upon completion of the placement.
Objectives of the placement
- To gain experience and understanding of the work of a zoo animal keeping department.
- To apply own personal skills and take ownership of a series of tasks and/or a research
- To reflect on training and experience throughout the placement.
- Anticipated tasks/training provided
- Assisting with daily animal husbandry e.g. feeding, cleaning, enrichment provision,
enclosure modification etc
- Observations of animals and recording of relevant information.
- Training in basic research methods.
- Visitor interaction e.g. answering visitor questions in a polite and sensitive manner.
- Assisting with student supervision at the direction of the head keeper.
- Training in animal-management related computer software.
- Training in all aspects of the company’s code of practise.
- A qualification in an animal science related discipline would be desirable.
- Previous animal-related work experience.
- Good communication skills.
- Adaptable to different working environments.
- Able to work in a team and independently.
- Physically fit for the demands of the post.
Applicants will be responsible for funding all flights and accommodation during their stay.
To apply for the above position please send a CV and covering letter to Jessica Leaper.
Or send to the AWCP, Botanic Gardens, Red Sands Road, P O Box 843, Gibraltar.
Closing date for applications 2nd April 2013
Please mention Zoo News Digest should you apply for this post
Please also consider advertising your vacancy here in Zoo Jobs. Simply send it as an attachment or within the body of your email to email@example.com
Vacancies advertised here reach more zoo/aquarium staff in more zoos around the world faster than any other medium
For Your Further Information