The Calgary Zoological Society is committed to excellence in animal stewardship and conservation leadership. Our staff and volunteers are what make us a success in these activities and keep us focused on our commitment to engage visitors in enjoyable and unique experiences, connect our community with nature, and inspire actions which support conservation. If you would like to be part of this team, we have the following permanent position available in our Animal Care department:
AREA CURATOR, ANIMAL CARE
Accountable to the General Curator, the Area Curator is responsible for the daily management of the animals, personnel, facilities and programs of the area. The successful candidate will be required to manage areas that may include mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, fishes and invertebrates.
· Oversee animal handling events, including animal shipments.
· Assist in the planning and coordination of standard operating procedures.
· Assist in planning and implementation of special projects, minor renovations and improvements in the section.
· Ensures compliance with standard operating procedures and ensures the standard operating procedures are conducive to maintaining the highest possible standards of human health and safety and animal welfare in line with known best practice.
· Interview and train employees: plan, assign and direct work: appraise performance: manage employees; address complaints and resolve problems; ensuring compliance with union contract.
· Works with other departments to help develop, plan and implement educational programs, publicity, graphics and other support services for the section.
· Initiates necessary requests for maintenance and horticultural work within the section.
· Acts as a liaison with the veterinary team to coordinate animal treatments, exams and the preventative medicine program.
· Acts as zone manager in other areas when other managers are away.
· Works with Animal Management team to ensure animal exhibits and enclosures meet or exceed minimum AZA & CAZA accreditation standards.
· Reviews and updates animal management/husbandry protocols ensuring established husbandry standards are met.
· Ensures accurate, current records are kept on each animal and exhibit.
· Coordinates behind the scenes tours, after hour’s events and animal treatments.
· Manages budget with in consultation with General Curator.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Minimum of 7 years of animal management experience preferably in an accredited institution
· 5 years of experience in direct staff supervision. Experience managing a unionized workforce would be considered an asset.
· Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Zoology, Ecology or related field
· Must be able to establish and maintain an effective rapport with all levels of management, employees and park guests.
· Must be able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
· Must have good observational skills.
· Some computer skills in MS office.
· The position requires inclusion on the zoo’s tactical response team. (Possess or eligible to possess firearm PAL document).
· Possess or able to acquire a Class 5 Alberta drivers license
- Involves outdoor work and heavy lifting
- Must be able to walk, stand, sit, kneel, stoop, crawl, twist, reach above head, pull, bend, climb stairs and ladders, and carry up to 50lbs.
- Exposure to fauna and pungent odours.
- Must be able to work in inclement weather.
- Working on weekends and statutory holidays will be required.
What the Zoo has to Offer:
- Competitive compensation package
- Annual performance bonus
- Flexible benefits plan, including a health spending account
- Employer matching RRSP program
- Competitive vacation and flex days entitlement
- Discounts on food, beverage and merchandise
- A complimentary annual pass for you and your immediate family members
- A fun work environment and the opportunity to work in a park full of wild animals!
If you are a highly motivated and experienced individual we invite you to send your resume, along with a covering letter, in confidence, no later than March 1, 2013. Please quote the position title in the subject line.
Human Resources PLEASE, NO PHONE INQUIRIES.
Zoological Society Applicants are thanked in Calgary
T2E 7V6 interviews will be contacted.
Fax: (403) 695-3807
Please mention Zoo News Digest should you apply for this post
Please also consider advertising your vacancy here in Zoo Jobs. Simply send it as an attachment or within the body of your email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Vacancies advertised here reach more zoo/aquarium staff in more zoos around the world faster than any other medium
For Your Further Information