Ski Dubai will shortly be looking for a new Penguin Trainer for their exciting, interesting and highly successful project in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
We fully appreciate that there are not a lot of people out there with Penguin training experience so you will learn this aspect on the job. It is essential though that applicants have considerable animal husbandry and training experience with a serious and genuine interest in promoting an educational conservation message to a multinational public.
Previous applicants may re-apply. Competition has been tough for previous posts and we appreciate you may have gained a position elsewhere since we last advertised.
The trainers will participate in the husbandry and training of the penguin collection, including the maintenance of holding area, preparation of diets/penguin feeding and the set-up and maintenance of presentation areas.
You will work with and alongside a team of friendly, outgoing and dedicated international (5 different countries) trainers. The penguins AND the trainers ARE the team.
Our aim is to create leaders.
- Monitor and perform daily feeding and training of King and Gentoo penguins
- Monitor penguins and public during public demonstrations
- Clean exhibit on a daily basis, including touch-up after presentations
- Manage the LSS
- Observe penguins for signs of stress or illness
- Keep records current each day
- Public speaking for a variety of penguin presentations and guest orientation
- Performs other duties as required
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology or Zoology or Diploma in the Management of Zoo and Aquarium Animals or related field or equivalent experience
- Preferably three year of training experience, ideally with marine mammals. Alternative expertise in animal husbandry given serious consideration (incubation, hand rearing).
- Must be fully experienced in using ZIMS. (We would expect you to teach our team the ins and outs of using this record system).
- Previous experience in maintaining living specimens
- Ability to work well with staff and supervisors
- Ability to perform well under duress typical of positions dealing with living organisms
- Able to work alone and to work with others
- Be able to lift 50 lbs. to shoulder height
- Carry materials, transport boxes, buckets, etc. throughout the facility
- Able to work on rota
- Standing, walking for long periods in an extremely cold freezing environment
Dubai is a great place to work. There are 400 different nationalities living and working here. We get around 10 million tourists a year. It is a safe and friendly place to live. Although a Muslim country everyone is free to practice their own religion, women can drive and pretty nearly everything you can get in the US or Europe is available here...and then some. The climate is very hot for six months of the year and beautiful for the other six months. We have the best restaurants and the best chefs in the world. The best bands are regular visitors and the range of entertainment available is immense.
Just to give you a flavor. I freely admit some can be outside a Penguin Trainers salary.
If interested please forward your resume along with a recent photo to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close on the 31st DECEMBER 2016