Deputy Head of Section
Deputy Head of Section –Animal Encounters- full time permanent
The Department of Animal Welfare & Conservation is currently recruiting for an organised, dedicated, reliable, confident team member to join the Animal Encounters section. This position is offered on a permanent full time basis.
The Animal Encounters section encompasses a diverse range of species found in the “foot safari” area of Woburn Safari Park; including raptors, psittacines, small mammals, birds, marine mammals, primates, hoof stock, reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates.
As Deputy Head of section you will directly line-manage all non permanent members of staff including seasonals, interns and volunteers. The successful candidate will be expected to assist the Head of Section and supervise in their absence.
The successful applicant will need to be:
• Able to manage and motivate a large, diverse animal keeping team
• A highly motivated, hard working individual who has a good understanding of behavioural welfare and previous experience training and working with a variety of species.
• Able to take part in public presentations as well as demonstrating exceptional animal husbandry skills, high standards of animal care and excellent communication skills.
The successful applicant should demonstrate:
• Considerable supervisory or staff management experience in a similar environment
• A passion for Animal Welfare & Conservation; be highly motivated, flexible and committed to Woburn Safari Park’s high standards of husbandry and welfare.
• Previous practical experience of working with a range of species (hands on experience with the species we hold is preferable however those candidates’ with comparable experience will be considered)
• Strong customer service and communication skills
• An excellent understanding of health and safety in a zoological setting
• An organised approach to managing animal records, reporting systems and proposals to improve the section in line with our brand values
The zoo animal management qualification (DMZAA) is desirable but not essential for this position, however; the successful candidate would be expected to work towards achieving this qualification. A full, valid driving licence is essential for this role
If you are looking for a rewarding opportunity to work within an “award winning” environment then please apply through our website at: www.woburnsafari.co.uk/careers
If you have not heard from us within 21 days of the closing date please consider your application unsuccessful on this occasion
Independent International Zoo Consultant