Experienced Animal Keeper
Paradise Wildlife Park
Paradise Wildlife Park currently has a vacancy for an experienced animal keeper to join our expanding animal park team with the opportunity of working with a wide range of taxa. The successful applicant must have previous experience employed within a zoo environment.
Our zookeepers are involved in a full range of husbandry duties including general enclosure cleaning, food provisions, husbandry training, and enrichment programmes across the six sections of the zoo (Paddocks, Small Mammals, Birds, Primates, Reptiles & Large Carnivores). The position advertised will mainly be working on our Small mammal and Primate sections but with future plans to learn all sections. These sections include species such as; callitrichids, White Cheek Gibbons, Lar Gibbons, four species of Lemur, Squirrels Monkeys, Two Toed Sloth, Three Banded Armadillo, Raccoons, Coati, Red pandas, Skunks, Corsac fox, Asian short-clawed otters, Meerkats, Fruit bats and Lesser and Greater tenrecs.
The successful applicant will be actively involved in the mixed taxa shows on the zoo, where they will be trained in positive reinforcement techniques for species to demonstrate natural behaviours in public displays. The keeper will also be delivering interactive animal experiences across multiple sections of the zoo.
Paradise Wildlife Park also has a team of volunteers and interns you will be tasked with working alongside and supervising. The applicant must be very personable and able to communicate well with visitors and staff. The successful applicant will be enthusiastic and a good team player.
• Full time; Permanent position
• Reports to; Section Leaders & Head keeper
• Hours; Summer 8am-6pm, Winter 8am – 5pm. Includes weekend and bank holiday work on a flexible rotated basis (1 in 3 weekends off). Flexibility is necessary in this post
Primary Duties and Responsibilities include:
• Carrying out and enforcing high standards of welfare and animal husbandry routines e.g. food prep, feeding, cleaning, enrichment provision etc. set by Section Leaders on sections allocated to
• Undertake and record animal observations
• Deliver high standards of visitor interaction in the form of; keeper talks, animal shows, encounters, experiences, tours and education events
• Overseeing work experience, volunteers and interns
• Liaise and assist in general duties and requirements as directed by senior management
• Other duties to support effective and efficient site maintenance may include: Fire Marshall, First Aider, Company vehicle driver, including tractor trailer, rubbish removal and general cleaning in order to maintain high standards (nb - full training will be a given prior to the post holder being required to undertake new tasks)
• An animal science related qualification
• 2 years experience in a zoological collection preferable
• Excellent communication skills
• Adaptable for a flexible rota
• Physically fit for the demands of this role
• Full UK driving licence
If you would like the opportunity to join our expanding and proactive team please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com
Closing Date: 23rd December 2016
Independent International Zoo Consultant