Animal Care Practical Instructor
Job title: Animal Care Practical Instructor
Location: Enfield, EN1 4RQ
Salary: £18,170 to £22,886 plus £1,755 London Weighting
Start Date: ASAP
Capel Manor College is London’s only Specialist College for land-based studies and an internationally renowned learning resource for all those interested in Horticulture, Animal Management, Saddlery, Arboriculture, Floristry, Garden Design, Countryside and the Environment. Our aim is to ensure our staff enjoy coming to work, not only because they can make a difference to the communities the college serve, but because the College provides them with a great place to work.
The College are currently looking for an Animal Care Instructor to provide instruction and demonstrations to students on a wide range of subjects relating to animal care. The role will also involve supporting and resourcing the teaching of animal care including maintaining practical facilities.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
• The day-to-day routine care of the College’s animal stock to include cleaning out of accommodation, provision of feed, water, bedding, nesting material, and daily health checks
• Providing demonstrations and technical instruction to students undertaking practical animal care from entry level to level 3 and HE
• Carrying out practical assessments of students in line with awarding body requirements completing all necessary records
• Supervising and allocating tasks for college students carrying out practical duties in animal areas
• Complete records relating to routine animal care, reporting any abnormalities or problems to Supervisor/Line Manager as appropriate
• Ordering feed, bedding and other consumables as required in consultation with Line Manager. Storage, security and stock control of such consumables
• Ensuring high standards of hygiene and cleanliness in all animal areas and associated storage and service areas
• The exercising, training and handling of animal stock as appropriate and as required
• Ensuring health and safety of students is maintained whilst undertaking practical sessions
The postholder will be required to be available “on-call” over specified periods by arrangement with the Line Manager to ensure that the welfare of the college’s animal stock is not compromised. Time off In Lieu/payment will be agreed as appropriate.
The successful candidate will be a highly motivated individual, with excellent time management and organisation skills. You will have a professional approach, flexibility, responsiveness, enthusiasm and commitment to achieving high standards and deadlines.
Required Skills and Experience:
• Experience of caring for a range of rodents, reptiles, birds and farm-stock on a day-to-day basis
• Level 3 qualification or higher in an animal care discipline e.g. City & Guilds or BTEC Diploma / Extended Diploma
• Teaching Qualification e.g. PTLLS, DTLLS or willingness to obtain
• Knowledge of correct hygiene and cleaning procedures for Animal Unit and associated areas
• An understanding and compliance with current legislation, including Diversity and Equality and Safeguarding
• Commitment to inclusive and comprehensive educational provision
What’s in it for you?
The college offers a unique working environment with a range of benefits including:
• Access to the Teachers’ Pension Scheme or LGPS (depending on job role)
• Employee assistance programme
• Superb staff development opportunities
This post is subject to an enhanced DBS disclosure and barring list check as it is within regulated activity due to the college being defined as a ‘specified place’. The College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff to share this commitment.
How to apply
To apply for this position, please click on ‘Apply’ and upload your CV. You will then be sent an email with a link to complete an online application form. Please ensure you complete both parts of the application process to be considered.
Closing date is 15th December 2015
Please don't forget to mention you saw this advert in