Assistant Laboratory Technical Officer - Taronga Wildlife Hospital
The Taronga Conservation Society Australia (TCSA) operates Taronga Zoo in Sydney and Taronga Western Plains Zoo in Dubbo, catering for local, interstate and international visitors. The Taronga Wildlife Hospital (TWH), a well-equipped and modern veterinary hospital and quarantine facility, operates at Taronga Zoo, Mosman. The TWH is responsible for the maintenance of the health and welfare of the TCSA animal collection, treatment of wildlife brought into the Hospital, and participation in conservation, research and education programs.
Taronga Zoo is seeking an experienced individual to become a member of a multidisciplinary veterinary team in the role of Assistant Laboratory Technical Officer. This position is currently part time (2 days per week) with a possibility of becoming full time hours in the future. There is high potential for advancement to a more senior position with greater responsibility.
The Assistant Laboratory Technical Officer will become competent with the day to day activities of Taronga Zoo’s clinical pathology laboratory, including microbiology, haematology, biochemistry, parasitology and other clinical pathology investigations on samples submitted to the laboratory. The position also assists the Diagnostic Veterinary Pathologist with, necropsies and pathology data entry and is responsible for maintenance of the necropsy room.
The position assists with the maintenance of quality control for all tests, laboratory and pathology equipment, stocks of laboratory and pathology disposables, media and ensures a high standard of practice, hygiene and cleanliness in the laboratory and necropsy room.
The successful applicant will possess;
· Tertiary qualifications in Applied Science or equivalent combination of knowledge, skills and experience.
· Demonstrated experience in all aspects of clinical microbiology and an interest in and a willingness to learn about the haematology and parasitology of wildlife
· Experience in maintaining a laboratory including cleaning, washing up and occasionally making up of media.
· Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team effectively.
· Demonstrated computer skills and proficiency in database applications and Microsoft Office.
· Demonstrated planning and organisational skills including the ability to prioritise work and meet established timeframes and a commitment to accurate record keeping, fact finding and data collection.
· Effective verbal, interpersonal and written communication skills, including the ability to establish effective working relationships and produce reports.
· Knowledge of sample collection, storage, management and sample shipment.
Please visit www.taronga.org.au to obtain an application form and information package or for further information regarding this position, please contact Larry Vogelnest on (02) 9978 4618, or email email@example.com
Applications, including resume, application form and completed selection criteria should be sent to HR Officer, Taronga Conservation Society Australia, PO Box 20, Mosman 2088 or email Mitchell McLachlan firstname.lastname@example.org by Tuesday 20 October 2009 quoting reference. no 2009/53.
Please visit Zoo News Digest at : http://zoonewsdigest.blogspot.com/