Zoo Atlanta is seeking a Primate Keeper II to work primarily with its collection of orangutans and cross-train in our other primate areas. A minimum of three years of experience working in a zoological setting with great apes and other primates and participation in a progressive and active program of operant conditioning is preferred. Strong background and proof of skills in operant conditioning required. Individual must demonstrate a strong commitment to animal welfare, behavioral enrichment and wildlife conservation. Salary is commensurate with experience.
The Keeper II is responsible for animal husbandry and maintenance of exhibit, holding and public areas of the assigned department. This person will report to the area Lead Keeper or Assistant Curator or Curator as appropriate.
· Participate in daily husbandry, exhibit maintenance, daily record keeping and visitor service
· Maintain a high level of observation and reporting of animal behavior
· Actively participate in workshops, seminars, activities and conferences aimed at continually improving job knowledge,
· Actively foster constructive attitudes and a team orientation among staff
· Maintain the highest level of safety in the work area through implementation of safety protocols and procedures
· Maintain a high performance level of general keeper duties including excellent animal care and visitor interactions including scheduled on-ground talks to guests
· Participate in one or more of the following: enrichment or training committee, area research projects, education or conservation programs
· Actively participate and monitor animal training programs via operant conditioning and report to staff and supervisors
· Coordinate and supervise activities of interns and volunteers as required
· Other duties as assigned
- Four year degree in biology, psychology, zoology or related field.
- Willingness to work holidays, weekends and flexible work schedules
- Ability to apply operant conditioning techniques (as required)
- Minimum of 3 years animal care experience in a zoological setting
- Must possess good oral and written communication skills
- Must have a positive attitude supporting area goals and those of Zoo Atlanta.
- Able and willing to work outdoors in inclement weather
- Must be able to perform strenuous work and lift at least 80 pounds, bending, lifting, climbing, etc.
- Light construction skills a plus
- Must obtain and maintain a valid Georgia Drivers License
Please mail or email your resume to Zoo Atlanta:
Human Resources Department
800 Cherokee Avenue
E-mail: Zoo Jobs Job Hotline: (404) 624-5600. Option 6, then Option 2
If emailing your resumé please:
1. Indicate in the subject line the specific job posting you are interested in.
2. Have resumé in MS Word format.
Please visit Zoo News Digest at: http://zoonewsdigest.blogspot.com/