Bristol Aquarium seeks Displays Supervisor
Bristol Aquarium has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Displays Supervisor.
In the heart of Bristol located on the Harbourside, our Aquarium hosts our largest display of native species themed around a sunken ship. Other displays include an amazing underwater walkthrough tunnel which includes exotic species. Bristol Aquarium also has a large botanical house home to an array of plant species as well as Coral Sea display which is home to a number of species of sharks and rays.
The responsibility of this position will be varied, challenging, but extremely rewarding. A hands-on approach is required to ensure you achieve the highest standard of animal care and husbandry as well as life support system operation.
Being responsible for the day-to-day management of the Zoological Team, a hands-on approach is required to ensure the team achieve the highest standard of animal care and husbandry.
You will be responsible for maintaining and developing displays and exhibits, including our Botanical House Gardens, along with promoting public education and awareness in relation to conservation of biodiversity.
In addition to this you will also maintain clean, tidy and safe standards of all plant rooms; tool rooms, laboratories and quarantine facilities.
The successful candidate will be expected to be very personable and able to communicate well with the visitors, including delivering public talks and design and run education sessions.
This is full time post working on a rota’d basis which includes regular weekends and bank holidays.
Aspro Ocio is a Spanish multinational company with its headquarters based in Madrid. Aspro owns and operates over 40 leisure attractions across Europe.
Here in the UK Aspro owns and operates Blue Planet Aquarium, Deep Sea World, Bristol Aquarium, 4 Blue Reef Aquariums, Smugglers Adventure and Oakwood Theme Park.
If interested, please send your CV covering letter to: Janeen Pickup, Aspro UK Group HR Manager, c/o Blue Planet Aquarium, Cheshire Oaks, Cheshire, CH65 9LF. Or email us at: email@example.com
The Bristol Aquarium is committed to Equal Opportunities: www.bristolaquarium.co.uk
Closing Date: 16th June 2013, interviews will take place week commencing 24th June 2013
We do recognize the time and effort it takes to apply for a position, but as an employer of choice we receive a high volume of applications and in the interests of economy, Aspro UK does not notify candidates who have been unsuccessful in their application; consequently if you have not heard from us within 4 weeks of the closing date, please assume that you have not been successful on this occasion.
POSITION: Displays Supervisor
RESPONSIBLE TO: Curator
RESPONSIBLE FOR: Zoological Aquarists & Divers
Work Experience and Volunteers
RESPONSIBLE FOR LIAISON WITH: Bristol Aquarium Management teams
Deep Sea Leisure Plc Displays Supervisors
Bristol Aquarium Sales & Marketing Executive
Company Press Officer
Central Human Resources
Members of the public
MISSION: To offer fun in parks which are safe and environmentally friendly, and guarantee a high quality of service, with customers served by a motivated team, to ensure that they are satisfied and want to return.
Purpose: To ensure the highest standards of animal husbandry and exhibit maintenance throughout the Bristol Aquarium. Through consideration of the Visitor experience, fun, education, value, conservation awareness and animal welfare – employ Zoological strategies and an enthusiastic attitude to deliver the highest standard of exhibits and informative talks throughout Bristol Aquarium ensuring that Visitors are satisfied and want to return.
- Compile Zoological Team rota’s to ensure adequate team cover for both Zoological Team and Dive operations within Budget and distribute 4 weeks ahead
- To agree short / medium / long term goals for self and each BA Zoological Team member and focus on achieving such goals through clear objectives and clear timescales
- Responsible for undertaking the Induction, training and appraisals for the BA Zoological Team.
- Co-ordinate the BA volunteer and work experience programs and training programs.
- Represent the Zoological team at BA management level by attending meetings and assuming Duty Management responsibility as and when agreed on a BA Management Rota.
- To assist the Curator in controlling costs and expenses to budget obtaining best value for money on expenditure
- Review with Curator on a monthly basis departmental expenditure
- Assist the Curator with timely and accurate completion of Zoological payroll reporting to deadlines
- Ensure that consumables are kept in stock to meet the requirements of the Zoological Team and Divers
ANIMAL HUSBANDRY & DISPLAYS
- Day-to-day management of animal husbandry through a hands on involved approach
- Assist Curator in ensuring that BA displays and exhibits are maintained to a high standard (weekly walkabout report used to identify positive and negative feedback on exhibits)
- Monitor the water quality of BA exhibits within parameters assigned by Curator
- Maintain clean, tidy and safe standards of all plant rooms, tool rooms, laboratories and quarantine facilities
- Monitor and meet the nutritional requirements of BA animals
- Responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of assigned exhibits
- Maintain and manage Life Support Systems liaising with Curator
- To satisfactorily complete dive courses agreed with Curator
- Undertake training to become PADI Divemaster/BSAC Dive Leader if not already at this level
- Responsible for ensuring Dive Medical is up to date at all times
- Maintaining own records of diving and ensuring compliance with HSE & PADI regulations
- Maintaining accurate records of dive equipment
- Supervising and dive tending for shows, training, maintenance and collecting dives
- Scuba diving for shows, maintenance, training and collection
- Assist with monitoring, servicing and maintenance of scuba equipment
- Responsible for reporting any health and safety incidents to the Curator and Dive Contractor
- Assist Curator in ensuring that BA adheres to all applicable regulatory framework requirements – e.g. Zoo Licence, Health and Safety, Diving at Work Regulations 1997 etc
- Maintain BA livestock records utilising current recording protocols - 7 Column format, ICIS – in accordance with Zoo Licence regulations
- To ensure Education, Research and Conservation takes place at BA and are fully recorded in accordance with the Zoo Licence regulations
- Production of development plan for assigned exhibits
- Support Zoological Team with submission of development plans for exhibits and monitor progress to completion
- Invest time in compiling plans for Zoological CAPEX proposals in July on an annual basis
- Completion of any approved Zoological CAPEX projects within budget and in agreed timescales
- Responsible for delivering world class customer service at all times.
- To ensure the zoological team is providing outstanding customer service at all times.
- To manage the talks and events programme to ensure quality delivery.
- To ensure first class delivery of specialist talks, workshops, and tours for all group bookings.
- To oversee and review staff training and delivery of education programme.
- To work closely with Head of Displays and Marketing to ensure progression of customer
- To provide leadership by communicating well, maintaining good business relationships and representing BA in a positive light
- To be responsible for ongoing development of self
- To attend training courses as required by the business
- To be a key holder and provide cover for environmental and intruder alarm call outs.
- To be available to assist at other sites if required
- As an employee of Deep Sea Leisure you may be party to confidential information with regards operations. Such information must be handled with care and not passed to any third party.
- From time to time the company or manager may make reasonable requests for you to undertake duties not necessarily covered in the above
Please mention Zoo News Digest should you apply for this post
Please also consider advertising your vacancy here in Zoo Jobs. Simply send it as an attachment or within the body of your email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Vacancies advertised here reach more zoo/aquarium staff in more zoos around the world faster than any other medium
For Your Further Information